• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Shooter pulls the trigger

Shooter

Houston and Utopia Texas
It's only taken me one and a half years of researching and head scratching but I finally made my decision and pulled the trigger on my project. I was in Wyoming last week and put my money down on my next project, a Back Country Super Cub. I should have delivery about November. I'm going to build this one at home in the garage and save the forty mile drive to my hanger. I'm cleaning the garage out now. Boy do I have a lot of junk. I'll keep you posted on the progression.

congratulations. Please weigh everything so we can compare the differences. Post lots of Pics so we can all learn.

Thank you

Bill

Thanks for the well wishes gentleman. Bill, I try my best to follow in your huge footsteps. I have learned so much from your continuing thread. Those of us mortals who are building owe you a debt of gratitude for your wealth of shared knowledge. I've purchased two scales, moved out the junk and painted the garage floor. I'm ready to go. Can't wait to get started.

Randy (my brother Shooter), I'll do my best to keep all informed. Thanks.

It is great knowing that I have a brother, Shooter!

:)

I will bet you will have a blast putting this aircraft together.

Randy the shooter

Piper J5.5,
Backcountry Super Cubs makes a very complete kit. Wings and control surfaces are essentially ready to cover when you receive them. The fuselage requires little more assembly.
You can put it on its gear and climb in and make airplane noises when you get it. Current pricing for my model depending on options is $55-62000.00. I'm going to go with glass panel and a new large engine and all new parts. Probably be around $110000.00 or more when I'm finished. That really beats the heck out of over $250000.00 plus for some new production Super Cub variants and besides, it will be experimental. I can just about do what I want with it. I'll never go certified again. Thanks for asking.

Randy,
My wife says I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm biting at the bit to get started.

Good choice!!

You must have a bigger garage than me...my 36' x 60' shop is just barely big enough for me.

I'm a shooter too but not from Texas, although I've been thru there a few times...had dinner with HW at Pappas Brothers last trip to Houston....well, he was there but at a different table.

Lowrider and SJ. Thanks. I feel I 've made an excellent choice for my performance driven mission profile. This aircraft offers so much in it's mod's and performance that others just don't have. I have a fairly good sized garage. Four car and extended. It's heated and air conditioned. 10 foot ceiling. I'm plan to use only one half of it. I am writing a series article on the aircrafts construction. I want to illustrate that the aircraft can be built in a two car garage. A little tight. I will do the fuselage first. Remove it to the hanger and then do the wings. I will pre-assemble everything before cover, disassemble, cover and finish. I've done several projects prior to this. A Pitts S1-S, Midget Mustang, Quicksilver Sport 2 S, part of a RV-6,Mini 500 helicopter, Rotorway Exec helicopter, and a frame up restoration of a 54 Cessna 180 and a 47 J-3 that I just finished. I did the Cub teardown to finish in 8 months with one individual assisting. I don't plan to go that fast with this one. I think about 14 to 18 months if no problems occur. Next time you see George tell him I said Hi. He won't have a clue who I am. Keep sending them down range. Thanks for the comments.

i have done 2 one was a amith the next a TCOW both took about 18-1900 hrs start to finish. with the amount of experience on previous project you have this one should be a piece of cake. Best of luck
Marc

I plan on putting in at least 25 hours per week. If I can con some of my A&P, IA friends into free labor it should go fairly quick. I have a real good A&P who loves to do fabric. I think I need to twist his arm. For once, fortunately we are all old and experienced. If I can keep the BS sessions to a minimum, we can make some progress.

I popped in Teds hangar at Platte Valley just north of Denver a couple months before Oshkosh and saw his cub - looked awesome. I am watching both your and Bills builds with anticipation.

Git'R'Done!

If your referring to Ted W., he had his plane at Oshkosh. Beautiful. I spoke with him this morning. He is just finishing us his new cargo pod for Super Cubs. He will have info about it in a couple of weeks on his website. See his blog on our website at www.stolaircraftmagazine.com click blogs. Bill's thread is a wealth of information. I can't wait to see his finished project.

I plan on putting in at least 25 hours per week. If I can con some of my A&P, IA friends into free labor it should go fairly quick. I have a real good A&P who loves to do fabric. I think I need to twist his arm. For once, fortunately we are all old and experienced. If I can keep the BS sessions to a minimum, we can make some progress.

Sounds like a good reason to have a cook out/ work party

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RaisedByWolves
I cleaned the grill and vacuumed the pool last night. I'm ready for that work party when you are. I can throw on some Elk steaks, a little Axis, and smoke a pig. I even have ice cold beer and some smooth Canadian whiskey. I'm not far from Graham.

Shooter

If you are not far from Graham, you are a lucky man indeed. You have a phenomenal resource with Steve Pierce close by. What a blessing that is going to be.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm about 200 miles from Graham. About 1.4 in the 180 and 2.0 in the Cub. Essentially around the corner here in Texas. I met with Steve, wife, son and daughter two weeks ago in Graham. Great people. Truly a wealth of information. How close are you on your project? I would love to head north to see you and it when you are finished. With your superb record keeping and photo log, it would make a wonderful feature article. What do you think?

Dennis

RaisedByWolves
I cleaned the grill and vacuumed the pool last night. I'm ready for that work party when you are. I can throw on some Elk steaks, a little Axis, and smoke a pig. I even have ice cold beer and some smooth Canadian whiskey. I'm not far from Graham.

Sweet. I like the sound of that.
Nice to meet you and your wife the other day at Steve's.

It's been a year since I last posted to this thread. I guess it's time for me to start posting again. I took delivery of part of my kit in April of this year. My real job, the new magazine, lot's of travel to fly-ins and STOL events and my wife and daughters health problems have slowed me down a bit. The fly-in season is slowing down now. Sheila is over her surgeries, still recovering but back on her feet. My daughters over her problems and I've been in the garage a little more. I have made a few modifications to my Backcountry Super Cub Gen II airframe. I added a few tabs and hard points on the vertical stab for ease of inspection and maintenance work. I removed the rear upper glass panel (too much glass for the Texas heat) and ran the upper stringer forward to the front glass rear support. This changed the lines of the fuselage a little. I like the look. I have added a locking stainless steel latch to the cargo door and a mid door cross member to increase its rigidity. The floor boards (there are seven of them) are made from 3/16 plywood from the factory. They fit very well and required little trimming. I stained them a oak color and sealed them with polyurethane. I made the interior wall panels from .016 aluminum. ( there are 10 of them counting the aft bulkhead panel) Total weight was only 5 lbs, 9 oz. I made the original aft bulkhead from 3/16 ply. The .016 panel is over two pounds lighter. I modified the front seat by adding 3 inches to the seat back height to fit me better. I added folding arm rests ( folding to facilitate rapid egress) and a drink holder to my wife's seat. A little extra weight, but she will be more comfortable and happy and therefore so will I. I have covered the tail, horizontal stab, rudder and elevators with Ceconite. I will finish them with tapes tomorrow. I just got the fuselage back from paint. It was painted with PPG epoxy bright white paint. I will start to cover it on Sunday. The fabric will be finished with the Air-Tech process with a primary color of bright white. I weighed the fuselage when it got back from paint. It weighed 137 pounds about 10 pound heavier with the tabs, supports and paint. It's a big airframe. Four inches wider, five inches taller and two feet longer than a Super Cub. It's as long as my 180. I added weld on fuel steps from Airframes Alaska to my 3 inch extended gear. It currently sits on 26 inch tires but I will eventually place it on 35's. I'm still waiting on my boot cowl, windshield, panel, cowl and motor mount from the factory. I should have the fuselage covered and back from paint in three to four weeks. I will start final assembly at that time. I'm going to need the front parts to get this thing together. Hopefully they will be ready soon. I'm planning a trip to the factory in Wyoming in a few weeks to see what's going on. So far all things fit well and the welds and finish from the factory are excellent. The wings are together. They need the addition of the 24 gallon tanks (48 total), plumbing, lighting wires and cover. I've had them on and they fit well. I'll get the fuselage finished first before I take on that part of the project unless parts slow me down. I'll get Sheila to post some pictures in my next installment. I'm technologically challenged. I have to get back to the garage or this thing will never get finished.

I'm glad things are going well. Progress, even just a little bit, is a great motivator. That will be a noticeably large Super Cub.

Keep up the good work Shooter and best to your wife and daughter for a speedy recovery!!

Shooter,
Can you give more details about the oversize of your airframe. At 6'5" and 250lbs I'm always interested in airplanes for us full-sized people.

Doug

Jasperfield and Lowrider,
Thanks much for the positive thoughts.
DRLcub and Lowrider,
This is a large Super Cub. The fuselage is as long as my 180. I am 6 feet and 220 lbs. When I place the front (pilots) seat in the full aft position, I cannot reach the rudder pedals by several inches. The cabin at the front seat is 28 inches wide and 55 inches from the floor to the top of the cabin. The cargo hold from the aft stick to the rear bulkhead panel is 9 feet! If you yell into the cargo bay you will get an echo back.

I picked up several internal cabin parts from the paint shop today. The fuselage and parts are bright white. I assembled the three seats and will take them to the upholstery shop on Monday. I am covering the seats with Navy blue (Blueberry) faux leather from Aircraft Spruce and Burgundy (Port) Duralife Premium fabric from Airtex. The accent color on the white fuselage will be a reddish burgundy, navy blue and bright yellow. I've been installing all appropriate internal items (fairleads, cables, pulley's, etc) prior to fuselage fabric cover. I hope to finish fabric work on the rudder, elevators and horizontal stabs tomorrow. I should get my landing gear and interior panels back from paint on Tuesday. Things are finally starting to come together in a fuselage shape. It's motivating me. Stay tuned for tomorrows report.

Shooter this sound really nice project how about some pictures. It's nice to see how projects are going together and follow.

Back