• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

W&B changes with covering

Actual weight might change but shouldn't change the W&B.

I believe you can if you want. Aircraft covered in Ceconite; no change in weight and balance. Or you can weigh it and lose a hundred pounds of payload. I believe both are legal. Others may differ . . .

You need to have it weighed after covering. You state that is was weighed with the following mods and equipment installed.

yup, you need to weigh it...

you be insane as an A&P to sign it off without..... most likely more than 2Lb negligible diff....

The idea was to help to decide where to place movable objects such as the battery before final covering, not to eliminate the final W&B.

Most Cubs it is more like 100 lb difference, and not in a good direction. Either Piper put two coats of dope on the world's lightest fabric, or their scales were seriously off. We are not seeing the same thing with Citabrias - new cover, and they really are almost the same weight.

The idea was to help to decide where to place movable objects such as the battery before final covering, not to eliminate the final W&B.

This can be done by plugging numbers into the W&B equation for any aircraft for any scenario. Except for putting a new fabric covering on....use your old numbers for moving the battery, they will give you a close enough idea if it will work...

Jimbo,
It might be easier for members to answer your questions if you explained what you were trying to do. Your first post asked if the W&B would change with covering and painting, implying it was being recovered. Your last post indicates it's new construction.

Help us out a bit. What are you building?

Jim W

Jimbo,
It might be easier for members to answer your questions if you explained what you were trying to do. Your first post asked if the W&B would change with covering and painting, implying it was being recovered. Your last post indicates it's new construction.

Help us out a bit. What are you building?

Jim W

so I guess what he's really asking is
"anyone got a pre & post fabric weight numbers so i can calculate the cg & weight of a fabric job??"

might edit the subject of thread to attract the right answer person....

I am trying to determine where to mount hydraulic pump for amphibs, how to finisish extended baggage, where to mount battery etc for the best balance point in the end.

Do you own the Aviation W&B app? That is a simple and convenient tool for playing with weight and balance figures. Establishing your target is the big question. Sliding items fore and aft to achieve it is pretty simple.

If you are planning to put the airplane on amphibs floats you will almost certainly be nose heavy.

Just a thought
hope this helps
bill

Jimbo, Bill is correct.
If you are planning to put the airplane on amphibs floats you will almost certainly be nose heavy.

Just a thought
hope this helps
bill
My Cub is on straight EDO 2000 floats. The battery is mounted at the aft end of the extended baggage floor. The battery is a larger Odyssey for the extra weight. There is no alternator on the engine. I have also added a 4" diameter roll of lead flashing at the tail post for ballast. My operational CG is about in the center to 3/4 of the range of the envelope. The overall performance is terrific.

Mount the hydraulic pump as far aft as practical. Add a small access door if need be. You will not regret it.

Back