• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hot oil

So do you think that running oil at 220 for an extended flight would be a problem?

So do you think that running oil at 220 for an extended flight would be a problem?
What plane and engine?
What does it do on a normal climb?
What outside temp?

220 shouldn't hurt anything but if you redline really easy I would look at some alternatives.

What plane and engine?
What does it do on a normal climb?
What outside temp?

220 shouldn't hurt anything but if you redline really easy I would look at some alternatives.

Back country / Javron with all those big things hanging of it with o-375
Dont know because I rarely climb
Looks like it would be oat plus 120. But if I back of just a bit I can keep it around 210 when it's 100 oat.

I was reading another thread and was just wondering when does oil start to break down?

Colin,
I found this article interesting reading: http://www.p28b.com/node/333 Granted, it is referring to a Cherokee 235 but the principles are the same.

Quite a while ago you and I discussed the baffle which goes ahead of the carburetor sealing the bottom cowl. I elected to leave it off of my plane to see what happens. The oil temperature runs at about 180 on a hot day. I'm thinking that the excess air blowing through this area "may" be helping to cool the oil sump. You might try removing this baffle to see what happens.

I've also read in several different places that it is safe to run the oil temp at the maximum limits as long as you have a proper oil pressure. If the pressure drops to a low reading then it would be cause for concern.

Here is what my Lycoming O-320 operator's manual states:
Oil temp: 180 desired, 245 max.
Oil pressure: 60 min & 90 max in cruise, >25 at idle.

I don't worry about it running hot unless it starts to reduce the oil pressure from whatever its nominal reading is. Then its time to be on the ground. In the past in the little Lycomings and Continentals I've dealt with high oil temp in it was around 245*-250*.

run 245-250 on hot day and I let it go if oïl pressure don't fall Under 65-68 psi. 295 hours done on that motor and have no problem at all.

aeroshell w-100 plus show tech data up to 266 degrees

Thanks guys, I will relax a bit more about it.

Funny you should have reminded me again Pete as I do plan to remove that beautiful piece of engineering that took me days to make ( anyone that has had to make that part will know what I mean) it won't be hot here for at least 3 months so I will report then.

colin

Hi
What kind of oil temps can I expect in the summer and winter with rear mounted oil cooler?

I have a PA-18A with an O-320 installed (zero time overhauled),
New oil cooler (9 vain) on the left rear baffle.

My experience:

OAT of almost 90 degrees on the ground
Oil temp: 200-220 F
Oil pressure: 70 in cruise

OAT not over of 60 degrees on the ground
Oil temp 180-190 F
Oil pressure: 80 psi in cruise

It is normal?
Tks
FD

This sounds normal the temps are where they should be in my opinion

Back