• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Elevator gap seals...

pbreed

I have a breezy with super cub wings and tail...
I want to add elevator gap seals....

I have kit for the maul glue on gap seals...
The cubcrafters seals look soo much easier...

Any comments on the different seals?

Is there anyplace one can buy gap seal similar to the cubcrafters gap seal material in bulk rather than the $200 kit....

Paul

Duct tape sure is cheaper but it might not be pretty if you had to remove it. You might put clear mylar tape down first, as it removes easier, and I think it would stay put. I have the CC seals on my Cub and I like them. I've heard of a few of them departing unexpectedly but mine have stayed put so far.

RANS Aircraft (www.rans.com) sells gap seal material at a very reasonable price. I used their gap seal material on my experimental Cub. Give them a call--sorry, I can't remember what I paid for the sticks, but it wasn't much. Certainly not $200. More like $60, but I can't remember the exact amount.

I thoroughly enjoyed/ enjoy the Breezy my Dad and I had. It has 12 wings and tail with a 150/O320 so its a pretty good performer. A friend bought it and did a nice refurbishing. I still fly it whenever I go to visit, usually every couple months. We used it (among other things) for aerial pest control. No finer fixed wing shooting platform exists!! Great for T.P. and flour bombing also. Next time I go down to visit we're going to try some melon bombing.

RANS Aircraft (www.rans.com) sells gap seal material at a very reasonable price. I used their gap seal material on my experimental Cub. Give them a call--sorry, I can't remember what I paid for the sticks, but it wasn't much. Certainly not $200. More like $60, but I can't remember the exact amount.

Do you have any pics of those gap seal installed or not??

Thanks again

You might try 2" polyurethane tape - two pieces stuck together but with each having 3/4" exposed on each long side. Install diagonally through the gap, one piece on the stabilizer (top), and one on the elevator (bottom). Installing it trough the gap insures that the tape does not need to stretch when the elevator is moved. I think there is a picture of this somewhere in the albums.

Two pictures: Elevator & Rudder gap seal. Material comes from RANS in 6' sticks; curved on both sides to allow for a nice fit over elevator/rudder tube.
gapSeal.jpggapSeal-2.jpg

Attachments

• gapSeal.jpg
    gapSeal.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 257
  • gapSeal-2.jpg
    gapSeal-2.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 318
I wanted gap seals on the tail feathers of a Pietenpol I had a few years ago. I just went to the hardware store and bought 3/4" weather strip with a PSA adhesive on one side. It worked great and the PSA held it in place.

Benefit of elevator/horizontal-stab as well as fin/rudder gap seals are:
1. Reduce creation of turbulent air flow between surfaces
2. Reduce top-to-bottom/side-to-side air flow between surfaces
3. With the above, thereby gain better rudder and elevator effectiveness.

At least that's what I've been told by folks <g>.

Ted

Benefit of elevator/horizontal-stab as well as fin/rudder gap seals are:
1. Reduce creation of turbulent air flow between surfaces
2. Reduce top-to-bottom/side-to-side air flow between surfaces
3. With the above, thereby gain better rudder and elevator effectiveness.

At least that's what I've been told by folks <g>.

Ted

Vg´s under the tail gave me good results so with thoses gap seals it wil help more I assume

Back