• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Straight floats... Southern Maine to chugiak, alaska

76heavy

Hey guys, I searched the forum , and it came up with no results... I'm sure this has been discussed before.
My dad is getting a bit older, and he just doesn't get out with the plane as much as he used to. He lives in southern Maine, and I live in chugiak, alaska. I was going to propose to him, that he and I fly his 79 c-180 from Maine to ak, and fly around ak for the summer, then fly back. The 79 is on straight floats, so fuel appears to be a possible problem. What is the best route? Can this easily be done? Is fuel readily available along this route, or do I need to carry fuel cans to land at a nearby lake, and shuttle it?
How early do you think we could start? This is a bit of a pipe dream at this point, but if I got a good plan together, he couldn't say no! What do ya think? Let's here some ideas!! Thanks in advance!
Tim

If I were doing it with my Bushmaster on floats, I'd contact the seaplane associations for information. They're an active bunch who'd point you in the right direction.

I brought my SC from No. Wisconsin to Southern Maine. I have that routing.
John

Many years ago when I lived in Kodiak, two gentlemen from Maine used to fly their two Cessna 180s from Maine to Kodiak each year, where they'd meet their families, who rode the airlines to ANC. One of those 180s was an early model with the small tanks.

so, it CAN be done......but it's not easy.

Those fellows crossed into Canada Far East, and came across the continent mostly in CA. They had fuel stops planned and told me they landed in irrigation canals in the prairie provinces. They said they spent a loooong time arranging fuel stops, including car rides to gas stations for car gas by farmers out in the prairie. I got the impression from them that planning the logistics was a big part of the "fun" for them. In any case, they figured it out. They did this every year for seven or eight years. Sorry, I don't know their names. Maybe someone in the Maine seaplane community knows them.

that would not be the route I'd take. Most of the run across the northern tier of the US isn't too bad, except North Dakota and MT. Bismarck you can land in the River for car gas or get a ride to A/P. Fort Peck, MT is next. Then, depending on range (I'm assuming any 79 will have the 84 gallon tanks) Seeley Lake. If range is an issue, you can land in the Missouri River at Ft Benton...but depending on water levels, that can be sporting.

From there, I'd probably continue west, then up the coast. Fuel may/will be an issue going up the highway. Not sure about the Trench.

its doable, no doubt, and will be an adventure.

MTV

A friend in Palmer, a Fish and Game biologist bought a cub on floats in LA and was bringing it home to Alaska in the late 70's or early 80's. He was very low on fuel someplace in the mid west. Came over a rise, saw a small pond and landed in a sewage treatment plant. He did say it was a shitty landing.

Not long ago I had dinner with a friend who had flown his 206 on tires from San Francisco to Honolulu. Where there's a will there's a way.

I would check in with Dan Dufault here in Maine, he flew a 180 or 185 strait float Maine to Alaska last year. He is cub amigo on the site, and probably give you some ideas

jim

Get a current copy of "Canada Water Aerodrome Supplement" and charts of Canada. It takes a lot of planning, but can be done. Plan legs which will give you plenty of spare fuel for unforeseen stops and deviations. I used to go on amphibs, but there were water facilities at most of my stops. Maine to Ottawa, South Porcupine, Red Lake, La Pas, La Ronge, Fort McMurray, High Level, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse. After Whitehorse there are several different directions which are possible. One is direct to Anchorage over the mountains, beautiful, remote and the shortest.

Get a current copy of "Canada Water Aerodrome Supplement" and charts of Canada. It takes a lot of planning, but can be done. Plan legs which will give you plenty of spare fuel for unforeseen stops and deviations. I used to go on amphibs, but there were water facilities at most of my stops. Maine to Ottawa, South Porcupine, Red Lake, La Pas, La Ronge, Fort McMurray, High Level, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse. After Whitehorse there are several different directions which are possible. One is direct to Anchorage over the mountains, beautiful, remote and the shortest.

Yes, get the Water Aerodrome Supplement for sure, and make lots of 'phone calls ahead so you're sure of getting 100LL or a reasonable facsimile. I did it in 2012 from southern Quebec to extreme western Nunavut and had no serious problems with fuel. That was in a PA-12, able to carry 60 gallons. Stay well north in the provinces where there are more floatplane operations, more lakes and better fishing.

my advise as well is to stay way north, lots more lakes, even if you have to carry extra fuel in cans to make it to the next fuel stop. Don't forget lots of bug spay and your spot!

Like Scouter posted Cub Amigo did the flight a few years ago, I think he crossed into Canada and flew that route if memory serves me right. Sounds like a Great plan for the summer.

This will get me kicked out of here. I'm looking at my National Geographic Atlas of Canada from the East Coast---as the lady says, I can see Maine from here---extending to Alaska. It's almost straight line of lakes, large and small from Maine across Quebec, James Bay up the west coast of Hudson's Bay to Cambridge Bay on Victoria Island.

The current COPA magazine related a pilot's (wheels) adventure across the north from Iqualiut to west of Cambridge Bay, maybe to Tuk. Or perhaps a more westerly from Churchill, Eskimo Point, Great Slave Lake, Great Bear Lake, along the Mackenzie river to Inuvik on the Beaufort Sea. Duck soup to Fairbanks, eh?

Although it makes sense on the Atlas it must be a mirage, otherwise we'd hear more of it as an escape from the few-lakes flatlands.

I forgot to mention that the highest obstacles between Maine and Whitehorse are in New England. 3,000 feet will get you to Whitehorse. Between Ft. Nelson and Watson Lake, go direct and avoid the highway in the mountains. There is a 185 from New Hampshire that is parked in one of those passes. The occupants did not make it home.

This will get me kicked out of here. I'm looking at my National Geographic Atlas of Canada from the East Coast---as the lady says, I can see Maine from here---extending to Alaska. It's almost straight line of lakes, large and small from Maine across Quebec, James Bay up the west coast of Hudson's Bay to Cambridge Bay on Victoria Island.

The current COPA magazine related a pilot's (wheels) adventure across the north from Iqualiut to west of Cambridge Bay, maybe to Tuk. Or perhaps a more westerly from Churchill, Eskimo Point, Great Slave Lake, Great Bear Lake, along the Mackenzie river to Inuvik on the Beaufort Sea. Duck soup to Fairbanks, eh?

Although it makes sense on the Atlas it must be a mirage, otherwise we'd hear more of it as an escape from the few-lakes flatlands.

King: on a Mercator map, a straight line from Maine to Alaska actually takes you farther north in the provinces than you need (or want) to be. Plenty of lakes but few options for fuel.

As for the extreme north (Nunavut), from Iqaluit to Inuvik you'd actually be better off on tundra tires. The arctic islands don't have the large numbers of lakes that the mainland has. I'd still prefer floats (or skis) for travel on the mainland or along the Mackenzie, though. And getting north from Maine to Iqaluit I would definitely want floats. It would also be about twice the distance to go that way to Alaska and getting fuel would be difficult.

This sounds like a terrific adventure! Have you read "True North" by George Erickson? He flew around Canada on straight floats, and wrote about the various places he landed.

Have fun!

Anne.

Yes fuel is my big worry.... And avoiding weathe, but I got to know my fuel options... Sounds like that Canadian supplement is a must have.

Get either a Turtle Pac fuel bladder with a inline fuel pump or a Aerocet fuel- cargo pod, I use the Turtle Pac and it works well, plug into the aux power- cigarette plug. I can get 22 gallons in mine, lay it on floor and hose reaches to tank easy or you can plumb it into one of your fuel lines and refuel while flying. The 5 gallon rubber collapsible water - fuel bladders work very nice also, cost less and lay flat when not in use. I fly straight floats every year from Florida to up above the arctic circle, so Maine to Alaska should be easier.

Another fuel option, though not as simple as the Turtle Pac, are the Flint wing tanks. I have them in my 185 for an extra 26 gallons. Never any fuel worries. Well worth while if you are planning to use your plane extensively in the boonies.

In Mid New York you have the lakes near Skaneatles. You can land and fuel from fuel bags that you carry then on to western NY. My big help was landing in lakes in Western NY to get fuel from Chataqua Lake Marina before heading west over Canada and up into Northern Michigan. I stopped in a river at Clements 3CM just above Saginaw. There is also a seaplane base near Cadillac if I remember right just before Lake Michigan. I fueled up and filled 15 gallons into fuel cans. I was told later that it is possible to have some of the float compartments with fuel bags that you can pump out with a small fuel pump. Once you are in northern Wisconsin the choices are abundant for floats. This site was also great for finding people to assist along the way. Do not be afraid to ask for help where someone will meet you at a river or a lake. Randy has started the Minnesota Pilots Association and I am sure you can find a kind soul to meet you with cans of 100LL.
John

When in MN, several AV gas options at Seaplane bases I can help you with. Options in MI and WI also, we just had a 172 delivered on straight floats from Maine to MN last fall. Easy in a 180 with LR fuel and fuel bags. You can easily get across to Washington or go northwest from MN into Canada then across with lots of water and AV gas available, nice cabins or lodges also. You may as well catch some fish up there too! I will be doing my Adventure Seaplanes arctic tour going northwest this season to Yellowknife and may go visit Nunavut 12 again! If you need help, give me a ring for ideas.
Brian

Brian,

We still have 100LL here. Convincing the Co-Op to sell it can be a bit of a problem (it's "old" and "needs to be re-certified") but I can tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with this fuel. $1.90/litre (C$389.50/drum). I'm sure we can fix you up with as much fuel as you might need. Will be good to see you again.

NVT 12
That's a bargain compared to Baker Lake at $850/ drum, I have a couple leftover drums there from last season. I hear in Rankin they are paying a company to get rid of older AV gas?? Shawn and I volunteered to make it go away for free! You have any good Char fishing hotspots second week in August other than the tree river? How about over at Bathurst area?

I forgot to say that Clements MI 3CM was a seaplane base alongside the airport and the fuel truck comes down to meet you.

Thank you folks! This is super helpful!! If this doesn't happen this year, it definitely will next year. My brother and I are convinced we can make this work! We just got to get the old man on this, as it's his plane. This adventure sounds like it could be a good one!

No dad is a retired chemical engineer from Scott paper. Just talked to him today.... Not sure if he's on board yet... I got to come up with a solid plan. I ordered all the Canadian charts and supplements. I'll get this figured out!

Back