• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spinner again... Vans 12'' no more available...

Olibuilt

Montreal, Canada
I going with a Catto prop on my O-360. Will have a 7'' crush plate in front of the prop.

Catto don't have any 12'' Vans spinner left. Vans no longer makes them... They only make 13''. Seems a little big for a cub.

What spinner would you guys put?? No spinner??

Thanks

Oli , spinner is a must not for cooling ( but it help ) but for look it is much nicer and you can do some nose art and it still look like a Super Cub :wink:

That's a shame they don't make them anymore. Mine has been bullet proof, not a single crack and looks as good as new.

Get a metal spinner to make one. That's what a mate did for his Pitts. Made the wooden form in his lathe and took it to the metal spinner. Costs are reasonable. Then it can look like a real Cub one.

Andrew.

The 6'' skullcap is an option. But not sure about the look. 7'' would maybe be better, but I can't find any

The only affordable one I found is this one:
Drilled SAE: 2
Bolt:1/2 inch
Bush: 3/4 inch
12" diameter, 11-1/8" long. Similar to a Piper design and adaptable to many homebuilts. Fabricated from .080" aluminum for durability. Furnished with predrilled rear bulkhead. Wt. 2 lbs. Mounting hardware and trimming and installation instructions furnished. Optional Front Bulkhead available for 2 1/16 Hub Thickness.

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/sn5.php

The more I look, I could really live with the DW skull cap. Simple, cheap and lightweight.
Cowling clearance and spacer from Saber would be very easy to figure out...

On the other hand, I talked to a local spinning guy for a 11'' alu spinner with back plate and front plate at 180 cdn$.

Short and light Saber spacer combine with cowling clearance really make a tough decision for spinner option.

Thrue beauty is in the eye but :sad: Sore looking ,check with Sensenich for there ground ajustable carbon fiber spinner i think they make one for a O-360 check if it could be fitted they dont have a front plate in them so hub thickness is not an issue.

I have 2 painted metal spinners in my hanger what size do you need one is for a fixed pitch prop on is constant speed

Sorry DW, but While I envy the weight savings and respect your frugal nature I just can't get excited about putting a chrome beanie on the front of my cub. I mean really, what if it develops an inferiority complex :oops: and need therapy just from sharing a locker room with the 180 with its dual purpose Spinner/Johnson Creek (Bowie knife) shaving mirror :smile:.

Sorry DW, but While I envy the weight savings and respect your frugal nature I just can't get excited about putting a chrome beanie on the front of my cub. I mean really, what if it develops an inferiority complex :oops: and need therapy just from sharing a locker room with the 180 with its dual purpose Spinner/Johnson Creek (Bowie knife) shaving mirror :smile:.

What cub????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha it growers on ya Kirby ....guess I'm just not a fashionista.

Legend Cub makes one. Has anyone used one of theirs?super-legend spinner.jpg

Attachments

• super-legend spinner.jpg
    super-legend spinner.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 134
I just ordered a new spinner dome & "L" shaped backing plate brackets from Univair, U14422-000 -- $285 plus shipping for the dome, $13 each for the "L" brackets. So far I have replaced the front mounting plate that cracked at 150 hrs and now at 290 hrs one "L" shaped bracket on the rear mounting plate broke and the polished dome cracked. I plan to make two changes: bend all "L" brackets to exactly match the contour of the dome so the dome is not "pulled" toward the brackets & therefore overly stressed. And I plan to hand polish the dome instead of having it machine polished and probably heated and made harder & more prone to cracking by the polishing process. My hope is that I can make this assembly last a lot longer next time.
Way back, 10 years?, at Oshkosh I talked to Jim Richmond in the Cubcrafters display. He was fed up with the cracking aluminum spinners and was planning to develop a carbon fiber one. I don't know if that ever happened but I don't recall ever seeing one on their website.
I really like the look of the polished spinner so I am just trying to make one last longer.
P1100365.JPG

Attachments

• P1100365.JPG
    P1100365.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 166
Darrel, cc does have them on their carbon cub. I got one from someone else and it's awesome. No more cracking aluminum spinners for me, went thru 2.. I'll look to see where I got mine, expensive, but cheaper than replacing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve, I plan to try the Aluminum one just one more time but would appreciate having the Carbon Fiber info.

Catto Propellers are going to make there spinner kit. In a few months... In composite I assume.

Back