• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bush Pilots of Northern Manitoba

Another good bush flying documentary - one the best Canadian films. Northern Quebec, 1980's. It's in French with English sub-titles. Otters, Beavers, DC-3's, and I think a Wag-Aero 2+2.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/bush_pilot_into_wild_blue

The English translation leaves something to be desired. It's a good lesson in "real" Quebec French! I especially like the way the filming is done in typically lousy weather.

This dissertation, a post by a commercial bush pilot on the AvCanada site, should discourage any longing for the good old days:;-)

Of the roughly 50 or more types I've flown, the "Single Swine" is the only one that I absolutely hated flying .... more correctly, I hated the lifestyle that went with being a piston Otter pilot. When I was flying the other floatplane types and enjoying being a guy with 1500 hours on floats, I used to wonder why the Otter guys were the most miserable, short tempered, grumpy, foul-mouthed, hard of hearing, stoop-shouldered and bent-backed group of guys I'd ever met in aviation.

Load every super-weird load imaginable ... dozer blades, diamond drill rigs with drunken drillers reeking of puke and booze, lengths of railroad track, 550 pound drums of gear oil, tubs and tubs and tubs of fish, obnoxious fishermen who thought you were their personal slave and they were Saudi Princes, drowning victims coffins or body bags .... complete with mourners spraying Lysol into the air to keep the smell somewhat under control, and who knows what else.

Then fly the vibrating, under-powered, hearing damaging beast to some minimum hop spot about 23 miles away and unload into some lousy dock made of Poplar branches that sink if anyone weighing more than 140 pounds stepped on it, or worse yet ... my first Single Otter trip was to move 50 barrels of jet fuel a whole 17 miles for some helicopter weenies to use at a geology camp, unload the fuel into the water down the barrel slide, and roll the barrel onto shore through Loon **** muck 18" deep. When you made your radio position report back to base, the dispatcher wondered ..... "what took you so long? The next load of drums is waiting on the dock"

After flying 6 hours which started with a takeoff at 0500, if you took 3 minutes to grab a drink of water and make a peanut butter sandwich in the mouse infested "crew lounge," the boss thought your only possible motivation for taking a break was that you had a personal dedication to put the operation into bankruptcy and have the equipment seized by the Sheriff.

Yeah ... that was a really great job flying the Single Swine.

Mercifully, I only did it for one float season before moving to IFR twins. Still, I'm sure I suffered permanent damage from having my brain vibrated off its mounts, and auditory nerve damage by the sound of that engine with grossly inadequate hearing protection.

So ... Single Otter? You can have 'em.

I don't see "piston engine majesty" when I see one, I think of "some poor bastard."

Last edited:
I grew up in Quebec, and since my dad was involved in some big construction projects in remote parts of that province, I got to fly with bush pilots on Otters and Norseman in the 50's and 60's. I saw how hard they had to work and the dangers they faced, though, not being a pilot at the time I couldn't fully appreciate those risks. Later on, I also found out how poorly they were paid. That pretty much eliminated bush flying as a career option for me, though I chose to work on the fringes of that industry as a radio operator with (then) Department of Transport. I got to sit in a warm radio shack and only had to go out into the cold and wet for a couple of minutes each hour for the weather obs.

Once in a while I get nostalgic and wonder if it would have been fun to be a bush pilot. Then I get a big stick and beat myself about the head until I come to my senses!

Most of us on this site have it pretty good. We actually own the airplanes we fly, can come and go (or not) as we please and don`t have to put up with grumpy bosses, drunk passengers, smelly cargo, or weather that can kill you. I think the old-timers would trade places with us in a heartbeat.

Back