• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sq-4/boss???

Jasers

Been an inactive member for some time now...I hope to remedy that soon!

My father and I have been planning to build and aircraft for a few years and have just about covered every possible build scenario/make/model. We've come to the conclusion that we want a STOL bird. We're seriously considering a kit/components from Backcountry(I'm a big fan of Wayne Mackey's slats) in the form of the "BOSS" as it provides side by side seating so Dad can be Co-pilot. I currently own a Decathlon so he's used to the back seat.

I plan on keeping the Deke for inverted fun. The BOSS looks to be nice for the possible need to carry 4, but perform well with 2 on board. I realize there are allot of 4 place "STOL" planes out there that would be less of a financial burden...but, this is equally about the build for us.

I know there aren't many of this type flying...but if possible, could anyone shed some light on the flying characteristics as compared to the tandem models? Is the BOSS essentially a carbon copy of Wayne's SQ-4? If so, how does she fly, Wayne? ; )

The only video I found was on Vimeo.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I too am very carefully following developments of this plane. I spoke with Bruce Reed at Backcountry...super nice guy.

I kind of went round and round considering other planes like the Bearhawk ( better speed ), Dream Tundra ( more room), but after reconsidering what my mission really is about, speed and room are not at the top. Back to the BOSS aka SQ4.

From what I hear, their quality is really exceptional. I have heard this from a couple of sticks who have no axe to grind and no stake in the game. I think their big priority at the moment is the LSA plane for OSHKOSH.

I do hope their manual will be good. I am a first time builder, and I'd hate to get jammed staring at a bunch of pieces and unable to proceed.

...I do hope their manual will be good. I am a first time builder, and I'd hate to get jammed staring at a bunch of pieces and unable to proceed.

I completed my Backcountry 1-1/2 years ago after a relaxed 4 year build. I considered the manual marginal. Fortunately I was able to assemble the plane from my stored knowledge of 50+ years of hands on. Perhaps it has been improved?

these types of planes aren't very complex, if you can't find it in the manual or figure it out there is enough knowledge and helpful people here to get you through. Just remember we like lots of pic's!

I'll roger that!! You can't find a more friendly and helpful site if you're building an aeroplane!!

]

I keep reading mixed things about the documentation for Backcountry Supercubs planes. The 4 place quick build kit is something i definitely will look at this Summer at Oshkosh. I hope the documentation will be as good as the plane I am a first time builder and if the docs are too tough to digest, my project will turn into a garage/hangar queen. Oh No....

what type of documents are you referring to? i have built 2 of their pa-12's with no problem.

I am a first time builder with a Backcountry Cub in progress. The manual is marginal...but workable (standard cub...nothing unique).

Now before I get jumped on....the manual has little to do with my lack of progress. :)

cafi

Lets open this thread up again...

How many Boss or 4 seaters in progress

How many flying?

How is the kit/ manual?

Sq4

Lets open this thread up again...

How many Boss or 4 seaters in progress

How many flying?

How is the kit/ manual?

I finished my SQ4 this fall after a 6 year build. I'm a first time builder so I'm sure I took longer than an experienced builder would. Additionally, life got in the way a bunch. The manual is nonexistent for the four place kit. I used the two place manual and extrapolated it to the four place airframe. It's not a complicated machine but some things you just need to figure out on your own.

as far as I know there are only two completed SQ4's so far...Wayne's and mine. The plane is pretty amazing even in my inexperienced hands.

I could say "without pictures it did not happen", but instead I will just say PLEASE post pictures! What a great achievement, please share the final with us!

SQ4 Pics

I knew pictures would requested. Going to try to attempt it with this post but I've never done it before so bear with me. I'd upload video if I could figure out how.

Merry Christmas!

The arrival.jpgIMG_9843.JPGIMG_8856.jpg

Attachments

• The arrival.jpg
    The arrival.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_9843.JPG
    IMG_9843.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_8856.jpg
    IMG_8856.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 303
Oil temps are really good (~180's). The oil cooler is mounted down near the exit at the bottom of the cowl with a dedicated source of cooling air. We had issues with cylinder temps so we installed some operable flaps from Anti-Spat aviation (really nice quality) and then opened the bottom of the cowling up some more to improve airflow. Now I'm able to keep the cylinder temps down in the high 300's to low 400's. Still...I'd like to see a little lower temps (per Mike Busch) and may open the bottom some more.

Why are the slats open in your first pic? You appear to be standing still?
The slats will move whether or not the plane is flying. It is dependent on the air flow over them. In the picture the prop is turning but the plane is stopped so the breeze must have been just right. They will even move independently of each other if parked askew to the wind.

Back