• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What happens when you second guess yourself.

I did - it was very nicely done. But still wondering what was "wrong" with the second one, other than it wasn't as short as it could have been.

Oh he or she passed, but it was supposed to be a short ( confined area ) .
If you watch you can see he was doing just fine and then pulled up the nose and floated along, Then she or he mushed because the plane was still too high. Followed by adding even more power.... thus adding a couple hundred feet.

I just posted another video of my old PA-11 at the same lake, but landing much shorter.
I was standing on the same spot filming all three landings.

I was standing on a dock at the 565 foot mark from the approach end shore. Due to the trees and power lines, it is pretty hard to touch down any shorter than the 500 ft mark. This particular pilot, who is a good friend of mine floated down to the 1,340 ft mark.
As you noted the pilot made a nice smooth landing anyway. It was just supposed to be a few hundred feet shorter .

We talked about it at length and the pilot knew exactly when they goofed... I could almost hear the cussing over the engine noise.

The point is that the landing was already made if they had just trusted themselves with the original approach.

Short-field landings aren't about being smooth (although it doesn't hurt), they are about slowing up, hitting the mark, and getting stopped as short as possible. It's not just a few hundred feet long, it's you have landed long and now your no longer on the runway. A go-around would have been more appropriate, come back and try again.

It's also good to make mistakes (if you learn from them). Sounds like your friend got some experience, and hopefully won't make the same mistake twice. Thanks for the post.

My father, a RCAF pilot being checked out in a Harvard by a Battle of Britain survivor, had a perfect flight and really botched the landing. Mortified, my father couldn't say a word as he taxiied back to the apron. Silence from the back seat until shutdown. "You did all right," said the legendary Buck McNair. "You'll make lots worse landings than that."

Back