• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

STOL update on my J-3, L-4, PA-11 waga-bad bush cub

bogey

WA state
heres a pictorial update on my ex-cub. all i can say is if its non structural i have underbuilt, if it can be screwed on lighter i am, if its structural i didnt compromise, and if its just way too cool ive done it or will do it (opinion based of course). O-200 for propulsion, extended wings with twin 18's and booster tips to make people roll there eyes, and way more cabin heat than a human can handle. itll look like MY RC cubs when its done. with the addition of the green house. theres a pics of the RC's on the bottom

IMG_3468.jpg
IMG_3488.jpg
IMG_3544.jpg
IMG_3553.jpg
IMG_3623.jpg
IMG_3628.jpg
IMG_3616.jpg

DSC03922.JPG
this is my other RC cub, same frame different wing
DSC04472.JPG
one way up hill runway, sharp s turns as slow as she'll go on final, roll off the right into a rock quarry, roll off the left side for a 5 foot drop to boulders. i LOVE this spot!
DSC04467.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3468.jpg
    IMG_3468.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 1,317
  • IMG_3488.jpg
    IMG_3488.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 1,337
  • IMG_3544.jpg
    IMG_3544.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 1,208
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 1,105
  • IMG_3597.jpg
    IMG_3597.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3623.jpg
    IMG_3623.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_3628.jpg
    IMG_3628.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 1,117
  • IMG_3616.jpg
    IMG_3616.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 1,082
  • DSC03922.JPG
    DSC03922.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,101
  • DSC04472.JPG
    DSC04472.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,060
  • DSC04467.JPG
    DSC04467.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,015
I like it. The folding seats are really nice. Wish I had one in my project.

Must fly real good!

Thanks for the pics

The wood stringers on the turtle deck look a little light and I'd be worried about scallops between the attach points when shrinking the fabric. Are they the same dimensions as what piper used on the J-3? I can't tell from the pictures.

Jason

Cool!

That first photo of the Cub in the mud puddle had me fooled for a minute. ....thought it was a REAL cub. The wing bolts and "tank covers" were the first thing I caught. ...then the 'pinned' hinges.... then the yellow hubcaps.....then the thickness of the rudder trailing edge and the stab/fuselage junction at the leading edge....then the fasteners for the "D" windows. ....great composition of that photo!!

PS.....probably not the first one to warn you..........Don't expect performance mod's that work on the models will work on the full-scale airplane.

PPS.....have you seen these?

Attachments

• fed1500-4.JPG
    fed1500-4.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
VERY neat!!!! especially your adjustable seat. What does your fuselage weigh? I'm working on an old j-3 fuselage and have done some of the super cub mods, mainly the top deck and at this point I'm about 88 lbs, and am curious to weigh against another one for reference. I still have some welding to do so the finished weight will be higher.

Just noticed the fairleads instead of pulleys for the aileron cables. That's an old fuselage unless you changed it.

its cuby, all tubeing is 4130 with a acid test. the j-3s were never all 4130. the guy my cub was aquired from was converting it to a taylor E-2 20 years ago. they quit the job after cutting off the birdcage and turtledeck. then stuck it in a open shed on the dirt ground for the next 20+ years. he has wings and tail feathers to a E-2 and it sent me on a wild goose chase for a few months. i left the aileron fairleads because i thought they were cool. there was definantly j-3 parts in it however, alot of bolt on parts were mild steel, and the panel and seat and boot cowl looked very 1938

the bellie of the fuse was rotted from sitting in the dirt and requiered alot of patches and new bottom longerons. i ran a bore scope down open tubes and just kept cutting tell i found nothing wrong. i did the PA-11 mod based on a live PA-11 i have access too, extended the cockpit 1 inch over a super cub, and replaced too channels in the birdcage to act as "handles" and to keep them from getting bent too crap like evry other j-3. fabed the L-4 green house from pictures and left out several cross peices that are (probably) unnesesary with modern window material's. added a ski plane handle to the left side of the fuse so the right side dosnt look like a jungle jim and when i get old someone can help me push then shove me into the cockpitt. replaced one landing gear fitting and both wing attach fittings. and added two bars that i understand the aerobat experimental guys did to stock j-3's to make them good for heavy engines up too 180 HP, cant remember where i read/heard this though. structurally there very comforting anyways. they tie the "V" brace into the bottom motor mounts.

not useng the plain wood stringers, it just makes it look more finished and reminds me to not wipe off the turtle deck with air lines...lol

im putting my bathroom scale in my car so i can weigh it tommarow. but i figure it this way. if i always shoot for the lightest and strongest way to put everything I want i my cub then ive done it right regardless of weight and performance. fact is, i'll probably always weigh less then a super cub unless its a butt naked one, i weigh 115 lbs to boot

awsome RC ski's. i built crappy looking wood ones a few years back that work wonderfully. im have a very bad addiction to my RC cubs they started out bone stock and now have over 40 mods from major to minor. instead of the box 6-7 lb mine weigh in at 10 lbs with a 4 stroke .70 on both. 21 once fuel tanks come out too a 1.2 hr endurance if i just cruise. ive had them landing on frozen cow paties and land on gopher mounds regularly, i logged over over 125 hrs this last year. i dont expect wing mods to translate %100. although in my own prgressive moding and testing its amazing what does scale down. a prime example is the "myth" that booster tips leave nastier wake turbulance seemed to be very true when i went from square tips to droop tips then flew through my own wake while circiling, and they improved ground effect stall speed and stability significantly. the VG's improved aileron effectiveness enough to get the standard aileron lnght extended wing all the way through a roll. flap gap seals eliminated slow speed tail buffet. now im running out of rudder at slow speed and this was the one control i thought id never run out of. the next mod is to move the leading edge cuff and stall fence in a rib bay or 2 on $whore
_MG_0130-Edit.jpg
7090_jpg.jpg

2133_jpg.jpg
1246_jpg.jpg
DSC03708.JPG
DSC03375.JPG

.....i dont own stock wing RC cubs anymore, and dont have any more stupid unreliable two strokes. that set up gets you a 120 mph, loud, fuel wasteing, pain in the but to fly, peice of.......

Attachments

• _MG_0130-Edit.jpg
    _MG_0130-Edit.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 811
  • 7090_jpg.jpg
    7090_jpg.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 751
  • 2133_jpg.jpg
    2133_jpg.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 753
  • 1246_jpg.jpg
    1246_jpg.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 761
  • DSC03791.JPG
    DSC03791.JPG
    881.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC03375.JPG
    DSC03375.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 729
  • DSC03708.JPG
    DSC03708.JPG
    920.1 KB · Views: 823
Last edited:
Your RC Cub is just amazing. Very well done. I think it's the ratty paint job that makes it look so real.

Jerry

Back