• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

EAA Urges Support for Sleep Apnea Bill

Done. The comment I submitted, for whatever it's worth - - -

"Every time we fly we must self-evaluate readiness. Sometimes we are too tired and self-ground. The self-evaluation conclusion has nothing whatsoever to do with the reason for feeling tired, it only means we didn't get enough rest, and that some more rest would be appropriate. Whether OSA is a factor is immaterial."

Also done. I added an additional paragraph to my letter:

"In my opinion, the FAA's requirement of a test for a medical issue that a patient has no symptoms of and that no aviation accidents are attributed to is simply not acceptable. The cost of such testing will drive many pilots (my self included) out of aviation causing yet another industry in the U.S.A. to dwindle and likely disappear. The economic impact for a non existent problem is simply unacceptable."

We all need to do this; it only takes about 5 minutes to complete.

Marty57

Me, too.

It took longer to edit through the superfluous than I thought... but I did it.

I feel like I should have further stripped that form letter down and said exactly what I think... kind of like dressin' down the mule in the 'baccer patch.

My addition:
As a high BMI pilot I have to challenge the supposed absolute correlation between OSA and BMI which Dr. Tilton states. I have seen no data to support the conclusion and my own personal experience does not prove it to be true. Even if there is a medical correlation between OSA and BMI that does not mean there is a safety of flight issue that requiring these tests will improve. I am also unaware of any situation where a pilot with a BMI of greater than 40 or a neck size greater than 17” has had an OSA impairment that has caused a safety of flight issue.

I believe that a policy like this is far more likely to cause any OSA in the low BMI pilot community to go untreated for fear of the medical certification Russian roulette. In fact the whole medical certification needs to be completely reviewed and streamlined as it no longer bears a reasonable relation to safety of flight. For instance, I am aware that the Melanoma certification criteria are outdated and do not reflect current medical protocol. How many pilots have been needlessly grounded due to just this one archaic standard? I am sure there are dozens of other examples!

Done.
If you have a few minutes, then rewrite some of the letter, particularly the beginning, in your own words. At least some congressional staff weight unique letters more than than form letters. It's not hard here - this letter is pretty wordy and easy to revise shorter.

Back