• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My Super Cub totally complete

SJC

Vancouver BC
Super Cub project complete

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 547
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 565
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 639
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 482
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 437
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 454
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    894.6 KB · Views: 417
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 412
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    957.3 KB · Views: 353
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 400
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 338
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    843 KB · Views: 369
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 425
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 373
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 360
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Looks super----one question---does that rear baffle material tilt forward or back when the cowl is closed up?

Nice job, you should be proud of that. I would like to know where you got your seats?

Marty, yes the baffle material is stiff so it stays forward in flight and makes a good seal to cowl. It was tied up or bent forward in this picture

Oregon Aero Seats. Yes they are very nice, nice to sit on as well

She's beautiful - congratulations! Is this a homebuilt or a restoration?

Anne.

Very nice. Can you tell ma about the switch panels under each corner of the panel? They look very nice. Also what about your defroster set up? Beautiful Super Cub.

Switch panels were custom fabricated for equal spacing and placment of panel swiches. These were short as possible to allow for max clearance on stick in full travel. Defroster is Y'd going into two outlets on glaresheild.

I have seen the Atlee Dodge defroster but yours looks different. Who makes it. Are the switch panels aluminum?

Fine looking Cub, congrats on your completion! The switch panels looks nice. Do your knees/shins make contact with them? I think if you are a tall person would hit them. I know I would.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Congratulations on your achievement. Very nice indeed. Thanks for posting the photos and enjoy that airplane.

There on somethings that are frustrating when dealing with Cubs but some things that are a joy. Two people I dealt with that I found very helpful one of those two people was Randy Rubbert. The defogger, Airbox, baffling and entire cowling came from Randy Rubbert. Also my rear mounted Larger oil cooler is also STC'd from Randy. When i had issues Randy was always there to make very strong suggestions. He sells and makes the parts of the Cub's that need help.

Rubbert Aircraft Maintenance & Repair
1850 2nd Avenue NE
Reynolds, ND 58275-9477
Phone: 701-847-3008

The first flight went well. I was very excited to get the Cub into the air. It was a long time of planning and buying parts one piece at a time. It was worth every moment! You were asking about the Circuit Breaker panel. It was custom done by Hardin and kind of similar to many different high end aircraft. The PC 12 has a Circuit Breaker panel very much like this, also in same location in the Cockpit. When the breakers are labeled they are in very clear view to the pilot both in the dark and daylight, when pilot is seated. Most would invert the panel to have the breakers pointing up towards the pilot.if a breaker pops when mounted upwards you cannot see it. I was the opposite, i wanted the breakers facing down so if a C/B pops, i wanted it to be noticeable right away. This is the result and one of the features of the Cub i also love. Actually wondered very, much why, you are only one that noticed? :evil:

Regarding the switch panels. I have no issue with my knees in the way of these switches. Im 5' 10", but when i slide into cockpit need to be kind of careful not to clip them with my left foot on the left side of the panel. Once I'm in they are perfect.

The first flight went well. I was very excited to get the Cub into the air. It was a long time of planning and buying parts one piece at a time. It was worth every moment! You were asking about the Circuit Breaker panel. It was custom done by Hardin and kind of similar to many different high end aircraft. The PC 12 has a Circuit Breaker panel very much like this, also in same location in the Cockpit. When the breakers are labeled they are in very clear view to the pilot both in the dark and daylight, when pilot is seated. Most would invert the panel to have the breakers pointing up towards the pilot.if a breaker pops when mounted upwards you cannot see it. I was the opposite, i wanted the breakers facing down so if a C/B pops, i wanted it to be noticeable right away. This is the result and one of the features of the Cub i also love. Actually wondered very, much why, you are only one that noticed? :evil:

I have been looking at doing something similar on a cub as well, that is why it caught my eye. It seems in that location that there is a lot of fuel lines in that area as well though? If a fuel line leaks there are you going to get fuel on the back of the breakers?

I have not started fabricating parts for it but was looking possibly at making it out of composites vs aluminum.

Im getting lots of questions regarding the instrument panel. As you all know there is very little room in a Cub to have much in the panel. Nothing is really required in a Cub to enjoy the pure fun of flying one. But when you do fly, its nice to have some niceties to enjoy it even more. This is all i did this panel for, just to enjoy the Super Cub even more and to make it night legal in Canada. The Aspen solved almost all of my night time requirements and is single biggest reason for using it. I mounted the Garmin 796 to its right but covered up it face to match the size to the Aspen. Aspen is STC'd on AMLSTC list for the Super Cub so that solved most of the issues. The Garmin, with it being a GPS moving mapworked perfect for the limited space I had to work with.The RSM that drives the Aspen was the bigger issue in a tube and fabric aircraft, with its magnetic inference issues. Its mounted inside the left wing bolted to the Wing Spare in an approved manner. End result is, this panel is simple, clean and very symmetrical in its looks, and that was my goal. Happy with how it all worked out. Its a very very capable panel all tied into a very small space. What was very important to me was it needed to be Legal for night VFR in Canada. It is!

Back