PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know William Van Gibson around Tupelo, MS?

Steve Pierce
09-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Anybody know William Van Gibson around Tupelo, MS? He passed through her a little over a year ago in a Stinson 108 he had just bought. He was having tailwheel issues and I discovered someone had installed a Scott 2000 on the airplane that was shot. I loaned him my Scott 3200 and he promised to return it but has not even after several phone conversations. I felt for a fellow aviator in need and tried to help him out. I have actually done this before without issue. If anyone knows him and can persuade him to return my tailwheel I would appreciate it. My phones calls every morning at 7 am haven't had an effect as of yet. ;) Thanks.

OLDCROWE
09-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Sounds like a good episode for that airplane repo show...

but seriously you got any more info?

Aerodon
09-18-2013, 12:36 PM
If this is the one you better hurry....File a lien?

9220K (http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=9220K)
108-2220
SALE REPORTED
PO BOX 4238
TUPELO, MS 38803-4238
STINSON
108-1
None
Up to 12,499
Individual

hatz215
09-18-2013, 12:44 PM
N9220K in Tupelo/Lee County shows 'sale reported' to Tupelo Aeronautics

Aerodon
09-18-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm getting way less trusting of pilots - been stiffed by a guy who need to take some of my gas at a remote location, by another guy that I sent parts and a drawing to, and a guy that I bought a jpi from that turned out to be obviously submerged. Why can't guys just throw away junk, or recognize when you are doing them a huge favour?

Steve, you are too kind, next time sell the tail wheel at full price there and then. Don

SteveE
09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
I just bought a good Scott 3200 from a guy down in Tulpelo,,, cheap... I dont need it, so its for sale...

Steve Pierce
09-19-2013, 06:46 AM
I just bought a good Scott 3200 from a guy down in Tulpelo,,, cheap... I dont need it, so its for sale...

Touche. ;)

Steve Pierce
09-19-2013, 06:48 AM
Thanks everyone. I believe he is Tupelo Aeronautics. Any advice on applying a lean?

Steve Pierce
09-19-2013, 06:51 AM
On a side note, I have been screwed over 3 times as long as I have been in business. Each time, though it took some time, I got my property or money back sometimes at a huge cost in inconvenience to them.

I still see proof all the time that there are great, trustworthy aviators out there and can't let the actions of a few jade me. I will however take extra precations from now on. ;)

WhiskeyMike
09-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Steve,

That's a real shame. I agree that it is only a minimal percentage of the time, but you do remember. I guess because the few bad ones stand out. In 1980 I lent a guy a set of PA-12 cowls. I'm still waiting for them. I think the good experiences make it worth the risk. I remember stopping in a beat up J-3 sprayer in Indiana, and the lady telling me "her husband wasn't around, so gas up, and send her a check when I get home." I bet you'll take a chance next time as well. There is a reward for goodness.

eskflyer
09-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Sounda like time for a flight of Bad mad crazy super cub guys to encroach upon Tupelo and have themselves a little campout.

ndill
09-19-2013, 10:48 AM
If your so broke you have to steal a mans tail wheel might as well sell the airplane.

tempdoug
09-19-2013, 10:56 AM
City cop Tommy Ivy 662-447-5427

Steve Pierce
09-19-2013, 11:05 AM
They say he doesn't work there anymore.

Aerodon
09-19-2013, 11:42 AM
At least its not too painful. At the local airport there is a dispute running over a set of floats that were sold about 5 years ago and installed on a plane. The 'buyer' paid, but the money never ended up in the sellers pocket. The plane got sold, and now it turns out that the floats are not STC'd for that plane / engine combination. Guy in the middle has no money and is already being sued by several other people. Figure what is fair, never mind legal?

okmike
09-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Steve

Iíll see if I can get my motorcycle gang buddies locate him and have a talk with him

William Van Gibson
Tupelo Aeronautics

Steve Pierce
09-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Ha, Seems Van sold the airplane to Aubie Pearman. I have spoken to him a few times because he was at the Tupelo airport and knows Van. Well he just told me that he bought the airplane from Van and is going to call him and get this all straightened out. I certainly hope so.

btracy
09-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Cessna 195 Convention in Tupelo next week. Do you know any 195 owners to take a look around?

Steve Pierce
09-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Yep, several actually. 8)

SteveE
09-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Steve

I’ll see if I can get my motorcycle gang buddies locate him and have a talk with him

William Van Gibson
Tupelo Aeronautics

All your old buddies are in prison.......

aviationinfo
09-20-2013, 12:57 AM
Can you take him to small claims court? In Graham Texas, of course.

okmike
09-20-2013, 10:34 AM

They are OUR old jumping buddy's and yes most are in prison or dead but some of them are still around

leon tallman
09-20-2013, 01:20 PM
you could send him a bill parts and labour then forgive the debt and send him a 1099 for it just to be a prick

tophand
09-20-2013, 02:05 PM
How does the 1099 work for that?

.....Mike

Tim
09-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Steve if you were a little closer to NY, I could have some people have a talk with him. You would get money or a tail wheel, guaranteed

Snert
09-20-2013, 04:33 PM
you could send him a bill parts and labour then forgive the debt and send him a 1099 for it just to be a prick

All you need is his Social Security number. Great Idea!

aktango58
09-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Gee Steve,

Sorry to hear this. Where should we send you a file?8)

Steve Pierce
09-21-2013, 07:54 AM
I texted him an ultimatum, I have my tail wheel by next Friday or I file charges. He suddenly contacted me. Giving me all kinds of sob stories. I told him I don't care about any of it. My tail wheel at my shop by next Friday or I file the papers. We will see.

Darrel Starr
09-21-2013, 10:58 AM
At Chino, there used to be a guy they called "Large Louis". Drove around in a Ford Falcon that listed to the drivers side when he was in it. They sent him to collect - very effective.

qsmx440
09-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I texted him an ultimatum, I have my tail wheel by next Friday or I file charges. He suddenly contacted me. Giving me all kinds of sob stories. I told him I don't care about any of it. My tail wheel at my shop by next Friday or I file the papers. We will see.

Steve suggest you read this over particularly part 805:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.shtm

Watch your time zones and his. If you want to take this to court line your ducks up. They are pretty aggressive enforcing this act and violations by the collector are rubber stamped in small claims much of the time. Fines could easily exceed value of the tail wheel.. Mostly keep your call times within the rules. Good luck.

Clay Hammond
09-21-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm heading over there in a Carbon Cub in next week or so for some demos. ATL to OLV and then down to Meridian. Can stop in and see what I can turn up. My two brother-in-laws live right there in New Albany area too. They like a good ruckus and one is an ex-con. Lemmeno if I can help ;-)

Pacer,Tri-pacer
09-22-2013, 06:19 AM
Steve, future consideration. I have delt with many "strangers", workers, repairmen, some I got their service from the internet (Craiglist) by printing a copy of their drivers license & SS card. Only one would not give it to me, I said NEXT. Sometimes I have given them access to my house, & nothing has come up missing using this method. Clyde

royevansii
09-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Better call Saul!

fjdrill
09-22-2013, 10:51 PM
A few years ago he had a hanger at the Okolona Ms airport (18 miles south of Tupelo). I passed thru there today and the airport has installed a secure gate. I could not even get to the airports parking lot. I've got a farm close to there so If I can be of any help let me know.

Steve Pierce
09-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all the suggections and offers. We will see what happens next.

Willie
09-30-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm curious Steve. Did you get the tailwheel?

Steve Pierce
10-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Well after giving William Van Gibson every chance to make this right I have come the the conclusion that he is certifiably full of it. I think he would lie if the truth would work better. I spoke to the county attorney in his county and the district attorney, both know him well and he has quite a reputation for scamming people. Seems he spent some time in the penitentiary as well. He has some charges pending and has spent a lot of money on legal counsel and finally got back to me when I let him know I was taking legal action however after 2 weeks of back and forth with way too many empty promises I will file charges tomorrow. I post this not out of malice but to hopefully keep anyone else from getting screwed by this individual. I got off very easy, several have not. If you happen to have dealings with him my advice is to run as fast and as far away as possible.

sodak
10-06-2013, 11:21 AM
William Van Gibson, embezzlement, no bond listed.

Steve Pierce
10-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Yep, That is the one still pending. He has spent lots of $ to stay of of the pen and he is scarred this deal with me is gonna mess it up. Not scarred enough to send my tail wheel back though.

Clayton Harper
10-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Use to be able to get $700 out of a fair 3200 on eBay. Bet it paid some lawyer bills. I've watched enough TV to know you gotta pay the lawyer first.

Clayton Harper
10-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Steve, Do you still have the Scott 2000?

Steve Pierce
10-06-2013, 05:20 PM
The one that came off the Stinson was junk. I have two more that are good.

Clayton Harper
10-06-2013, 07:11 PM
I was mostly wishing you had gotten some value.

Steve Pierce
10-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Well this has been both frustrating and actually pretty funny. After getting Mr. Gibson's attention when I related my conversation with the DA and his pending indictment he got pretty excited and promised everything under the sun including a new tail wheel from AK Bushwheel. Nothing ever panned out so last Friday night after he didn't do what he said I texted him that I was done and I would make the call to the DA on Monday. He came unglued and started texting me all kinds of excuses and promises. I never responded. Just before 8 am on Monday I got a text from him that he was waiting outside the FedEx office. I texted my contact who promply sent me this picture of an empty FedEx parking lot.
I promptly texted this to Mr. Gibson who had no immediate response. About 15 minutes later I got a text that he was stuck in traffic and almost at FedEx. Then I got a picture of an envelope addressed to me with a FedEx label. I texted back asking if he was sending me a blank piece of paper. He informed me he wasn't that bad and that it was a check for the tail wheel and requested I call the DA and let him know that he had taken care of this. I let he know I would do so when I had cash in hand, that my trust level in him was understandably pretty low. Well on Wed. FedEx showed up with the envelope and a check from his Mom. I called the bank and was informed that they had been instructed to let the check go through. I ran to the bank as quick as possible and deposited the check. So far it is still in my account. Sad thing is to look at all the time and effort he put into this. I learned a lesson for sure and appreciate all the feedback and help. As a side note I loaned a SuperCub.org member from Washington Sate Cathy's Garmin 250XL Com/GPS on Tue when he stopped in with brake trouble and his radio wouldn't work. Luckily I know him and have loaned him seat cushions and headsets before. 8)

Cub junkie
10-10-2013, 03:25 PM
I feel sorry for his mom. Hope all works out for ya' Steve. Probably not the first time mom has bailed him out.

Steve Pierce
10-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Yep, he got in trouble for writing checks on his Mom's account already. The County Attorney, DA and everyone else I talked new about him and told how nice his Mom and sister are and how they had bailed him out numerous times before.

SteveE
10-10-2013, 04:50 PM
It will never stop till mom and sis quit baling him out. He needs to suffer his own consequences.

DENNY
10-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Good to hear you got your money. I have been burned a few times in the past also but in the big picture have had a lot more good come back to me to make up for any loss. Gave 5 gal of fuel to local guide trying to get to town one night. No big deal I had the fuel stashed at friends cabin and I had lots in my tank. Told him not to worry about it he could buy me a beer latter. My buddy said he came back few days latter and dropped off a 5 gal can for me. Loaned out a battery to a guy going to valdez airshow (his would not charge) it came back week latter with a nice thank you note. It is sad to see the rip off artist hanging around the flying group. I think you did the right thing and ran him down. Hopefully he will take up boating.
DENNY

aktango58
10-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Steve,

You will probably have to go to WA to pick it back up... just make it a stop on the way up here!