• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Removing double sided tape and residue?

Den

Kodiak AK & Arizona
Anyone have any experience removing the gummy residue left behind when you pull double sided tape off? I have blisters from rubbing it off a little at a time. Cubcrafter love this stuff I guess!

tried 3m General purpose Adhesive remover???

been quite impressed with the stuff...

auto body/car parts places sell it...

Tried goof off yesterday. Worked better than alcohol but still left gummy junk. I ground all off with a rotating rubber wheel but can get to agressive where the turtle deck laps onto the fabric or will lift the paint. Wheel works pretty good on the tubing. Might try the 3m stuff and see if any better.

I wonder if the 3M stuff with strip the paint?

I have worked with this stuff a lot. The best way I have found to get parts apart and the tape off is to use a piece of rib stitch cord with the ends wrapped around something for handles (socket extension bars work great for this). If there is only one sided access like on the throttle quadrant on older CC11s (current production uses Velcro there) I use a dull knife or a putty knife.

Once the parts are separated and you have access to the tape a pinstripe removal wheel works awesome to remove the old tape. No chemicals, liquid mess etc. They are available from an autobody shop usually and will last a long time. The key is slow slow slow RPM and don't work one spot too long. With a little practice you can easily get 100% removal of the tape and not hurt the paint or plastic it was on. If you spend too much time in one spot, especially if you are turning the wheel to fast you can burn through the paint or damage the window.

Another technique I have used is to take another piece of tape, such as duct tape if you don't have any of the original tape, cut off a piece about 12" long and tape the ends of the tape together to form a loop (sticky side on the outside of the loop). Spray some of the Goof Off, or 3M, which ever you prefer, to the surface. Let it set a minute or so to soften up the adhesive, then try to lift off the old adhesive by sticking the sticky side of the loop of tape to the adhesive and with a quick lifting-up action, lift the tape up off of the adhesive repeatedly. Keep sticking the tape to the adhesive and lifting it up and little by little the adhesive sticks to the tape and comes off. That is just one technique I have used that has worked in the past on other types of adhesive. May work, may not, but worth a try.

Maybe I need to trust the pinstripe wheel a little more. I will try the 3m stuff too. Thanks for the tips.

I use a 1/8" drill bit on a drill run backwards very slowly. Removed the double sided tape today on a CCub skylite in 10 min.

Back