• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Cooler and Baffles

pitts12driver

San Francisco, CA
Trying to figure out the best combination of things. Looking at Van's or Positech for the cooler, and Van's or Airforms (Alaska) for the baffling. I like the price of Van's, but I have a conical mount engine and I gather that there is some difference in the set up for dynafocal - and the Van's baffles appear to presume a dynafocal mount.

All opinions welcomed

AG

Airforms will bolt right on. Vans has both conical and dynafocal but will require some work to adapt to a SC type installation.

AG,
What kind of plane are you putting the baffling and oil cooler in, and are you going with front or rear mounted cooler?

I'm at the stage where I need to buy an oil cooler. I've got a 150 narrow deck in an 18A, and hoping to use Airformes baffling and go from front to a rear mounted oil cooler. Can I go rear-mounted ? If so, what STC is available, or needed? Most of the discussion I've been able to find is about 160 hp engines or PA12's.

Also, it isn't clear to me which oil cooler I would need to get. The web sites for the various coolers I'm considering (Niagara and/or Aero Classics) don't provide much information. Neither does the ACS&S catalog. I've looked through past threads and haven't found what I need. I know I'll need to get a cooler with the bolt mount flanges (as compared to the mounts at the inlet/outlet connections of my old cooler), but it isn't clear which model number this would be. Also, what's the difference between '7 plate" and "9 plate" ? I'm mostly on floats here in Alaska, but considering a trip down south some day. Does "9 plate" provide more cooling?

I realize this is in the "Experimental" section and my plane is a certified SC, but hopefully someone can help me out too. Seems like it's close enough to the OP's questions that we can both be helped.

Jim W

Jim Brian Sutton use the Niagra 20003 in his STC for moving the oil cooler on the 150/160 hp Super Cubs. Not sure if it can be installed separately or not to his exhaust system. The Stewert's also have a rear mounted oil cooler STC but not sure if it covers the SC. Cub Crafters has one but not sure if it only covers their 180 hp conversion. Sorry I am not much help. ;)

I used the Airforms baffling on a 150 hp TriPacer and relocated the oil cooler to the rear baffles. Airforms makes the left rear baffling from Stainless rather than Aluminum so it holds up to supporting the cooler much better. I did find on the TriPacer that the cooler was about 1/2" too close to the engine mount, so had to move the hole over to accommodate the conical mount. Of course dimensions of oil coolers varies quite a bit, so your mileage may vary. 8)

I used the Vans baffling on my home built SC clone using an O-320-E2G with a dynafocal mount. I used a heavy aluminum plate riveted to the baffling to support the oil cooler, but this year on it's second annual inspection I found the left side baffling to be cracked. I borrowed Airform's idea and fabricated a new left side baffle with .048 Stainless.

-CubBuilder

Just because it is Stainless doesn't mean that it will not crack.

I am at the same place with my PA-18-150. I talked to cub crafters and they have an STC for the oil cooler to be relocated to the rear of the engine and they told me I would modify my baffling. The big objection is the price, right at $1000.

Just because it is Stainless doesn't mean that it will not crack.

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't. But, in my opinion, a heavier gauge 304 stainless piece is going to hold up longer than a lighter gauge 2024 T3 Aluminum piece in this application.

-CubBuilder

Perhaps, but if the stainless can flex from engine vibration near where it is bent, it could crack. The thickness will not make a great deal of difference other than more weight.

Perhaps, but if the stainless can flex from engine vibration near where it is bent, it could crack. The thickness will not make a great deal of difference other than more weight.

Of course I could be wrong. I have been before. I'll likely know in a year or two. In the meantime, I'll likely include looking at it in my pre-flight. Oh wait, we're supposed to do that anyway. :p

-CubBuilder

I have to say I installed the CubCrafters cooler STC with the 9 row cooler. I had so much cooling here in the deep South no less, I had to block about 1.5 inches just to get the temp up, with a Vernatherm installed.

I just used cubcrafters STC, nice kit but is expensive. I also bought new air forms baffling and all you have to do is bolt the cooler on. Cubcrafters kit uses a 9 vain oil cooler don't know if it cools more the a 7 vain but it is bigger so one would think so?

Could you please explain how cub crafters helps prevent cracking around the oil cooler support.Many thanks.Ron.

Back