• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

"Splates" and Floats

King Brown

Nova Scotia
To what extent do "splates," attachments to the forward end of floats, improve performance? Government SCs here added and removed them on 2000s. My new experimental 2250s came with them but I wonder if any added performance is worth the inconvenience of getting my Bushmaster on the dolly and manoeuvring without power among rocks while tying up at the water's edge. Mine are about 3' long on the inner edge of the float.

Put some forward of the step and they get you faster on the step when loaded, they dont need to be as hight like 2 in is plenty and they are fairly easy to install, basicaly it redirect the water downward pushing the airplane out the water.

I have them from step to tip on both the inside and outside of both floats. Gets onto the step quicker as they don't allow water to shoot out so much from the sides. I would have to measure to give you the width ( I think about 2") and that way they don't bother at all on high speed step turns. The only down side I have experienced is getting it to come down of the step in a really small pond (800) feet or so. A litte forward stick and you can still bring it down quickly if you are getting concerned about it. I've been running it this way for about 15Yrs. I Like It! There; I've given away one of my short take-off secrets!

Secrets... :smile: .. the way it should always be done. Inside 3".. outside trimmed to about 2 so not a major dock issue.

Attachments

• DCP06573.JPG
    DCP06573.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 116
This is good information for me. Come winter I'll have them from bow to step, instead of part-way to the step now. Thanks again to all.

Back