• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Toe brake master cylinder

pitts12driver

San Francisco, CA
Okay - let's get past the fact that I'm building a cub with toe brakes. I have read all the threads on the enormous preference of this community for heel brakes :)

On my Pitts, I mounted reservoirs directly to the top of the Master Cylinder. It's been a good system, with no leaks, and easy to service. I've noticed that most people that use Toe Brakes on a SC, have a single separate remote brake fluid reservoir. Any reasons beyond personal preference I should be aware of? All things being equal, I would like to use the dedicated tanks on the Master Cylinders as my experience has been positive.

thanks,

Adam

I have used the toe brakes with the individual reservoirs on my Rv8 and my Backcountry Supercub. I like them, however you wil be filling them more often and must check the fluid level more often than a single reservoir system.

From experience, if you are going to run big tires, install the smaller bore master cylinders. I put a sleeve into mine to modify them but botched it up so am about to order two new ones. I also had to alter the geometry of my back county cub toe brakes to improve the efficiency. But there is nothing wrong with toe brakes. Especially If you fly multiple plane s with toe brakes.

Here is what you do - call Robbie Grove at Grove Aircraft. He is the most knowledgable person on the planet about what you are trying to do - he has a Tango Cub with full- on toe brakes, using his master cylinders. He loves Cubs. He is now engaged in making OEM landing gear and brake parts for almost all the taildragger manufacturers. Good luck. Make sure you get full brake with the rudder pedal against the stops.

I like toe brakes. I hate them on a Cub. Robbie's Cub is ok - I have flown it, and it has good pedals.

By the way, my Super Decathlon has toe brakes. I go back and forth with no problems at all. When I first got it, I was searching for brakes with my heels, but that only lasted a month. Humans are adaptable.

Look at a Husky. They have toe brakes but have cutouts in the firewall so your feet can go forward a ways. Without those increases in toe clearance, you lose about 1 1/4 inches toe & leg room in a Cub or Super Cub by going to toe brakes. And 1 1/4 inches will feel like a lot! Think about it and mock it up before making a final decision. Unless you are relatively short of stature I don't think you will like trading off the leg room to get toe brakes. I transitioned from a Cessna 120 to a Super Cub and never thought the heal brakes were an issue.

A really nice thing about heel brakes is that they are not connected to the rudder pedals, making the rudders more responsive to light pressure.

Look at it this way - if you get used to both, you will have no problems with either. That way you will be comfortable in other folks' Cubs.

I agree with Bob. Switching between toe and heel brakes requires no thought at all, it's reflexive. I have a mild preference for heel brakes because they are more comfortable.

Even with the cutouts in the firewall my Huskys feel awkward every time I get in and work the brakes. Not really enough room if you have any kind of cluncky shoes on, never mind boots.

From experience, if you are going to run big tires, install the smaller bore master cylinders. I put a sleeve into mine to modify them but botched it up so am about to order two new ones. I also had to alter the geometry of my back county cub toe brakes to improve the efficiency. But there is nothing wrong with toe brakes. Especially If you fly multiple plane s with toe brakes.

Australians,you got to love them.!

On my Pitts, I mounted reservoirs directly to the top of the Master Cylinder. It's been a good system, with no leaks, and easy to service. I've noticed that most people that use Toe Brakes on a SC, have a single separate remote brake fluid reservoir. Any reasons beyond personal preference I should be aware of? All things being equal, I would like to use the dedicated tanks on the Master Cylinders as my experience has been positive.

thanks,

Adam
You have not said where you are mounting the master cylinders. Are they on the firewall side of the front pedals or are they on the rear pedals? If they are on the front pedals you would be happier with a remote reservoir that has easier access. Perhaps mounted on the engine side of the firewall as on some certified planes. Also, as Darrel mentioned, you will likely need cutouts in the firewall, possibly relocating some tubing and taking up some of the tight space between the engine and firewall.

I do hope for your sake that you have short legs. A long legged person would have difficulty in operating the pedal/brake unit at it's full travel requirements.

You have not said where you are mounting the master cylinders. Are they on the firewall side of the front pedals or are they on the rear pedals? If they are on the front pedals you would be happier with a remote reservoir that has easier access. Perhaps mounted on the engine side of the firewall as on some certified planes. Also, as Darrel mentioned, you will likely need cutouts in the firewall, possibly relocating some tubing and taking up some of the tight space between the engine and firewall.

I do hope for your sake that you have short legs. A long legged person would have difficulty in operating the pedal/brake unit at it's full travel requirements.
Maybe if you mount the rudder pedals where the heel breaks go, there will be enough room for full rudder and toe break travel.

It's rather difficult to make adjustments at the firewall, especially on the left rudder pedal.

Back