• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Single Place Super Cub and three place SC

Jim Miller

Normandy TN
I would like some opinions on my plan for my clipped wing (Colt wing) super cub project. I have made a large baggage compartment
with a seat back held in by two removeable hinge pins and the bottom cushion by velcro. When removed all you see is a large baggage
compartment. The plan is to license as a single place with gross weight 1320. It will be flown 99.9% of the time with rear seat removed
carrying a folding bike and other cargo. The rear seat will be similar to the cessna 150 auxillary seat and placarded the same way.

"Maximum capacity 120 lbs baggage and or auxillary seat passenger. See weight and balance for loading instructions"

In my plane the 120lb
may be 140 or 150. For additional precedence i wanted to get info on single seat SC and the stc three place SC. I don't see any problem
with this. No safety issues involved and it will give me the capability to take along my wife on the rare occasion or allow a future buyer
to fly with wife, child etc. Being single place would also make libility insurance cheaper. Resell value is not part of the equation. Do the
DAR's out there see any problem with this?

Thanks
Jim Miller

I'm not a DAR but if you list it as a single seat a/c for insurance purposes then the jumpseat is not a legal pax seat as far as insurance goes, is it not ?

I also am not a DAR. The number of seats is not stated in the operations limitations so, if you only have one seat belt installed, it is a single place. I do believe that the FARs state that all passenger seats must have a seat belt installed. So, only one belt, only one seat.

The insurance part is probably a complicated issue. I know with my Colt I had a exclusion that passengers would not be covered. It costs about 30% less to
exclude passengers. My real concern is there a problem with getting it licensed as a single place aircraft? I can discard my auxillary seat if it comes to that
but don't see why I could not do as cessna did with the placard. I would be under the same legal obligation to operate within the rules of my certified
Weight and Balance document but with the ability to substitude a light weight passenger for baggage allowance.

Back