• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sucked in!

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
I have just been reading helmetfires engine woes and noted skywagons comment on what might get sucked through the carbie.

I have just modified my round filter air box. I have a Sutton type exhaust that makes installation of a one piece lower cowl impossible. So I have cut the tube that holds the filter on and welded a thread and nut so it is removable. It works a treat. The nut is a high temp lock nut. I have made provision to lock wire it in place but I am unsure that this is wise as I don't want anything that small or light upstream of the filter that it can get sucked up the throat. Am I being over cautious? I would think a piece of stainless lock wire could do a bit of damage? Or is it near on impossible for the wire to break in a way it could get sucked in?

cgoldy

My buddy almost lost a brand new Maule (25 hours TT) coming home from Kauai across a 90 mile open ocean channel to Honolulu because a nut got sucked into the number #1 cylinder thru the carb box. The cylinder was totally destroyed ( 0/80 compression and metal everywhere in the engine). Nobody knows what happened or how it got there?

The same Maule was completely wrecked with 110 TT three months later on Lanai Island during a wind shear on final. Bad luck. Nobody has brought a new Maule here since.

Back