• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PolyFiber Fabric Tape Bubbles!?!

SuddenStop

Following the Polyfiber manual to the ‘T’.

When the tapes are first sprayed with reduced Polybrush tiny bubbles form and harden on the surface of the tapes. Even if I brush on the product (instead of spraying) the bubbles appear randomly on the tapes but not on the adjacent fabric.

It is strange that some pieces will have no marks on the tapes at all while others have numerous ‘bubbles’ that have to be dealt with. In the end they clean up OK, but it is a lot of extra work that I would like to avoid.

Tried reducing the Polybrush to 4:1, adding Blush Retardant, changed the heat in the shop, changed the humidity in the shop.

Nothing has worked so far, any ideas? Has anybody else experienced this?Tape Bubbles.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helps.

Attachments

• Tape Bubbles.jpg
    Tape Bubbles.jpg
    866.2 KB · Views: 193
What they are is little voids sucking in the fresh coat then the top is drying before what was sucked in can evaporate... Thinning it makes it worse as that is more to evaporate... Cooling room some might help as you want to delay the surface from skimming over before what was sucked in can leave...

i like to precoat a couple coats under where tape will be to help avoid this from happening.... Ya book says otherwise, but it will avoid most of this....

The bubbles appear mainly because the fabric under the tape isn't fully saturated with poly brush. I would suggest thinning the poly brush 4-1 or 5-1 so it is really thin. Brush it on, and wait 30 seconds. Then drag the brush through the wet poly brush again without adding and more and you should be able to drag the bubbles right out.
Just my tecnique, maybe somebody else has figured out a better way.

After I apply the tapes, I brush a coat of poly brush on the tapes and rub into the tapes with my fingers. Then spray the first coat of poly brush. Takes care of the bubbles for me....

Thanks to everyone so far for the answers, I will be sure to try some if not all to get this solved and keep you posted.

I have had this with not enough pre-coat. These will iron out as well. Parchment paper and a 220 degree iron works wonders. They willl also fill in when you spray silver. I would try a good wet precoat and see if that minimizes it. I precoat all the aluminum as well so that the metal doesn't suck the polybrush out of the fabric.

Back