• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Chub 520

clu

big cabin ok
Well I've been pretty quiet. Some of you may know me from my yellow L-13 at mike Sizemore's flyin a couple years ago. I'm Clu Colvin A couple of years ago I bought this airplane on amphib floats. It had a V-6 ford on it. It began life as a sportsman 2+2 that was reengineered 7" wider 9" taller and 12" longer. With heavier struts and tubing throughout the structure along with doubles on the spars. It was originally built in 1992. It is 45" wide and has a full length double floor baggage compartment to accommodate 2 sleeping bags and a pop out back seat.
I was never much of a ford man especially on the front of an airplane. It ran fine and performed ok. Just not for me. I took the engine and prop off and started building new firewall forward. It now has basically a IO-520D on it with my own twists. Higher compression pistons ground the cam for more overlap. Ported and polished balanced everything. And a Rotec throttle body injection that runs off of gravity feed or pump. 88" McCauley constant speed prop. I'm still in the lightning it and still néed to paint the cowl. But I have about 5 hours on it and its used less than a half quart of oil not bad for break in if I do say so myself.
With 10" gar aero and 8.50x10 tires on it and of course on its Gear it weighs in at 1447lbs and empty CG is at 7.4 but as soon as I set in it it's in CG. Preliminary numbers so far:

cruise at 2300 and 18" is 135 mph
takeoff with me and I ain't small and weighted for 200 extra pounds and full of fuel just 36 gallons is about 200 feet max without using the flaps.
Rate of climb pegs the vsi on 2000'fpm at 125 mph.
Just put on VG's and gap seals and haven't tested yet
yet the video was taken with a phone I'm not tech savvy so it may not play. My mother taking it was standing about 250' down the runway. Some of you will think its a waste and heavy. But it's just my version of a 180. I will be putting it back on the floats after I get some more time on it. The name Super Chub 520 is to bug Brandon Jewett that my chub will always be bigger than his!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 423
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 367
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 435
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 485
No not yet. Been ringing it out testing my engineering welding and all. He asked tonight if he could fly it tomorrow. So it will probably happen tomorrow.

Awesome numbers. Realize that I consider a "Big Continental" to be an O-200. What is your real-world fuel burn with the IO-520?

oh yea, we will never forget your buzz job at OK18...with your landing light "on". Great memories!

Haven't checked real close yet. But the other night 2 take offs climb to 2000' then low cruise of 2300/18" an hour total and put in right at 8 gallons. Which is probably pretty accurate. My bonanza burns about 8.8 with the pressure carb which is essentially a throttle body injection same as the Rotec tbi. They are just more efficient than a float carb. And not running it as hard as an injected 520 on bonanza or 185.

You know these Okies always trying to start something! I just glad that I was the bar for at least a
day.

Clu,
Pam's hip is fully recovered - thanks for asking. Hip replacement can never be considered "quick" recovery, but she is very glad she did it.

I am polishing the on the Cessna 120 this weekend as we have "Celebration of Life" services for my Dad, in two weeks. The event is being held at Uncle Al's place in Coweta, OK. Maybe you'll be in the area.
- Brad

Most everybody will remember Clu from the poker run stop and looking at all the airplanes at his place - 5OK3 Stearmans Roost

I've watched this monster go together and it going to be fun to watch the takeoff/landing contest with Brandon, the yellow L-13 is gone but he has two more + many others

Thanks Greg. One reason I did it was because I've never gotten out of an airplane and thought wow that's just way too much power.............until now.

Couple new pictures cowl painted new tuned exhaust because I didn't have enough power. Haha. A couple pictures of the current project. The white one of the yak is when I unloaded it and a few of the camo painting. And an old one of the L-13 to help you old guys remember who I am.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    909 KB · Views: 234
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 248
Nice photos.

Where do you find metric fittings for things like fuel lines for the Yak?

Kem

I haven't really needed much for the yak yet. But everything is readily available from several sources, one being very helpful M14p.com. I really like the rotec tbi. Once I set it up correctly it works perfect lots of power WAY smoother than any Ellison I've flown. No transition hesitation. No negatives I've found really at all.

I put 29x11/10's on it yesterday needed tires for the L-13 so swapped out the 8.50's 10 to use them. Im too cheap to spend the money you guys do. Just a little update. Gets off quicker because I can rotate more probably 175' 2 on and full of gas. Still cruises way to fast 140mph at 2300/17". Looks better though ifi do say so myself. Steve Peirce flew it at ok18 fly in sure wish he would say what he thought. Maybe it scared him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 170
I was scared. Scared as if I were watching Branden's extended geared Chub land in the rough stuff. ;)
I wish I had you guy's spare time.

Merry Christmas Clu, drop in OK18 anytime
I normally only see a Bonanza blur going low down the river out my window when he comes home from work:smile:

Back