• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

keeping feet warm and dry

3454terryg

is there such a thing as a light weight boot that will keep my feet warm and dry? something that you can operate rudder pedals and heal brakes with?

I have a pair of LaCrosse #367225 safety toe w/ 1000 gram Thinsulate, leather and rubber, good traction, lace & tie easily. These are the only boots I've ever felt gave me good control flying (toe brakes, no heel brake experience). 2.8 hours today in the Arrow, yesterday an hour at 10F in the open air trike on skis - plain cotton socks and warm feet.

FWIW
Mark J

I keep fighting the warm temperature with heat in the cabin, (heat coming out right on the boots) and having my feet warm when I get outside and put on the snowshoes...

Dry from water and snow, dry from sweat. Sometimes it is best to use one pair outside, and have shoes to wear inside.

Just so people know...you are really defeating (no pun intended) the purpose of winter boots putting a cotton sock in them. A polyester based sock of some type (polypropylene, etc) is needed. Cotton keeps the moisture next to your feet and the moisture will cool your feet. The polypropylene sock wick the moisture away from your skin and helps keep you from getting cold. Rather trying thicker boots (Bigger coat, what ever) try poly as the baselayer. Don't make it tight but you find great results. Wool is good too but doesn't wick moisture as well, just not cotton. Wool is fine if you are not active or don't perspire but poly works if you are active or not.

Simple survival school basics. Keep a pair of dry socks in your coat pocket and when your socks get wet and your feet start getting cold put the dry socks on. Instant warm feet.

Glenn

What temps are yu operating in? I've had good luck with expedition weight REI wool socks and ordinary hiking boots at temps down to -5F. Colder than that and I switch to bunny boots.

Just so people know...you are really defeating (no pun intended) the purpose of winter boots putting a cotton sock in them. A polyester based sock of some type (polypropylene, etc) is needed. Cotton keeps the moisture next to your feet and the moisture will cool your feet. The polypropylene sock wick the moisture away from your skin and helps keep you from getting cold. Rather trying thicker boots (Bigger coat, what ever) try poly as the baselayer. Don't make it tight but you find great results. Wool is good too but doesn't wick moisture as well, just not cotton. Wool is fine if you are not active or don't perspire but poly works if you are active or not.

I'm aware of the cotton issue and how you'll have colder feet with cotton, that was why I had added that statement. With one pair of modest wool socks, they're warm enough for extended sit in the deer stand at sub zero temps.

Mark J

is there such a thing as a light weight boot that will keep my feet warm and dry? something that you can operate rudder pedals and heal brakes with?

I'd recommend you look at White's, Schnee's, or Kenetrek pack boots. All make several models of high quality winter packs with varying levels of insulation. What works for you depends on your feet and your climate's conditions. Personally I'm happy wearing my Lowa mountain hunting boots in all temps but since winter flying brings overflow potential I usually go with my White's. My worst overflow/wet feet day in an airplane was spent in fairly light Sorels. Even marginal pack boots are better than expensive leather/thinsulate boots if you wind up knee deep in water on a sub-zero day.

bunny boots shine with overflow.

Yes you get wet, but wipe them out and they are again dry...

change socks and wipe out the inside and you are comfortable again.

http://www.sorel.com/Men's-Conquest™-Boot/NM1049,default,pd.html

my go to boot unless it's really cold (which is hard to define with a number-depending on adventure, distance etc)

can fly stick/rudder with heal brakes

the pic makes them look tall but they seem to be about the same height as their classic caribou model (which suck for winter unless you are checking the mail or going to the bar)

I run the laces fairly loose so I can slip on and off which is nice (leather tab on the back I poked a hole and looped 550' cord to assist with my laziness)

jeans fit over them which is key for keeping the snow out which several other burly style boots don't afford

no kidding has to be pretty cold out and or extended travel outside for me to wear my bunny boots anymore--will travel about 500 miles this new years on snow machine over 5 days --i will still bring bunny boots to cabin but with temps predicted in the teens and 20's I will not be wearing the bunny boots

Nothing beats real 100% wool. I have socks that were knitted in Switerland almost 80 years ago by hand that are still wearable. Yes, 80 year old socks made of pure wool! Wool works best for me. I love the feel wet or dry. I like leather for hats, gloves and boots too.

:smile:

I keep fighting the warm temperature with heat in the cabin, (heat coming out right on the boots) and having my feet warm when I get outside and put on the snowshoes...

Dry from water and snow, dry from sweat. Sometimes it is best to use one pair outside, and have shoes to wear inside.

If you're interested in a 2 part system, try these Neos overboots: http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/product.aspx?category=Insulated&cat=HLS-OVERSHOE&pid=N5P3
With just a pair of running shoes these are very comfortable to at least -20 and I would imagine much colder. They are waterproof and very light.
OE

Wiggy's makes an insulated over boot as well. I have a pair in my winter gear bag. 24 ozs. Not as much for me as for passengers or injured souls, heaven forbid. I figure I should be wearing what I expect to walk home in. So I do.

Those neos look interesting but other than a survival option what is benefit of a two part foot system that say a pair of bunny boots and a lighter style boots can't accomplish? Like I said, look interesting but why would one want to lace on a pair of running shoes then strap into another boot system? Also seems like it would be less stable platform for walking/working in?

Maybe good for the office style worker like on the slope that has to go outside for a short bit??

again, have no experience with them-just curious to their use? My pax will be dressed as I am fwiw.. How big of boot will those neos fit over?

Sierra bravo--curious about the thought process on carry over boots in survival bag? I guess my thoughts are carrying overboots for an accident is low on my list, regardless of weight---many other problems exist before I would be wishing for overboots. While warmth is key, if they can't warm their feet due to injury, a pair of overboots won't really make a difference--I would be more interested in a boiling Nalgene water bottle stuffed around my crouch warming the blood to my feet....sort of along the lines of a cold hypo body won't heat itself no matter how many layers they have wrapped around them--it takes an external source to heat that tortilla one wraps them in. Just curious on the why and learn something new.

Mike--agree w the sorel comment but when work buys them for you one tends to try them out---I wouldn't recommend something I am not stoked on---to this point they have been PJ proof which generally is a fair test to an objects durability--This is my third winter using them-no issues.

thx

My shoes/boots made in China don't last!

My Reichel (Swiss) boots have lasted 35 years! Real leather, massive soles. The boots weigh a lot however. My Reichels have not seen much use lately but they did not fall a part like the other footware that costs a fortune! Shoes made in China self destruct!

:rant:

Schnell,

for 30 years I've lived with a woman who's perpetually cold. I'm happy to do what I can to make certain she's comfortable. It's a role I asked for. I'm not concerned with 24 ozs of comfort gear.

Merry Christmas.

Those neos look interesting but other than a survival option what is benefit of a two part foot system that say a pair of bunny boots and a lighter style boots can't accomplish? Like I said, look interesting but why would one want to lace on a pair of running shoes then strap into another boot system? Also seems like it would be less stable platform for walking/working in?

Maybe good for the office style worker like on the slope that has to go outside for a short bit??

again, have no experience with them-just curious to their use? My pax will be dressed as I am fwiw.. How big of boot will those neos fit over?

Sierra bravo--curious about the thought process on carry over boots in survival bag? I guess my thoughts are carrying overboots for an accident is low on my list, regardless of weight---many other problems exist before I would be wishing for overboots. While warmth is key, if they can't warm their feet due to injury, a pair of overboots won't really make a difference--I would be more interested in a boiling Nalgene water bottle stuffed around my crouch warming the blood to my feet....sort of along the lines of a cold hypo body won't heat itself no matter how many layers they have wrapped around them--it takes an external source to heat that tortilla one wraps them in. Just curious on the why and learn something new.

Mike--agree w the sorel comment but when work buys them for you one tends to try them out---I wouldn't recommend something I am not stoked on---to this point they have been PJ proof which generally is a fair test to an objects durability--This is my third winter using them-no issues.

thx

I don't have a ton of experience with them but find that they are quite stable, very warm and very comfortable. I don't know how big of a boot you could wear them over, certainly could buy a pair to fit over hiking boots if desired. Only brought them up because tango mentioned his feet would be so warm in the plane and then needing something to snowshoe in when he got out. I fly in bunny boots, but my Pacer isn't very warm in the winter. I learned about them from the athletes that compete in the Iditasport, lots of them wear Neos at times out on the trail. Fwiw I certainly agree that pax should be dressed as the pilot.

OE

sorel has sucked since they went to china years ago, i didn't even get 30 days use out of last pair(caribou?) before rubber was cracked on both boots on top of foot area where it flexes... compared to no issues with there old models till i wear the heals through...

Yeah, the Chinese production has taken a toll on their quality. But don't give up, send Sorel an email with pictures of the cracking and they'll send you a new pair. My brother did just that. Dunno how long they'll last, but it won't cost you anything.

http://www.sorel.com/FAQ-Details/FAQ_Sorel_Detail,default,pg.html?rnurl=/app/answers/detail/a_id/762

I've heard the same thing about the new Chinese-made Xtra-Tufs too. I have to wonder at what point the loss of sales due to crappy quality will outweigh the increased profits from lower production costs.

Yeah, the Chinese production has taken a toll on their quality. But don't give up, send Sorel an email with pictures of the cracking and they'll send you a new pair. My brother did just that. Dunno how long they'll last, but it won't cost you anything.

http://www.sorel.com/FAQ-Details/FAQ_Sorel_Detail,default,pg.html?rnurl=/app/answers/detail/a_id/762

I've heard the same thing about the new Chinese-made Xtra-Tufs too. I have to wonder at what point the loss of sales due to crappy quality will outweigh the increased profits from lower production costs.

ah they got thrown out years ago.... but that would have been nice to have done.

thanks!

Columbia socks,the best I've ever had! I wear them year round, a little warm on hot days but not bad. Kamik boots. Was out this morning @-25 could have stayed out all day and had no problem with my feet.

The crappy xtra weaks got sent back here, then a new shipment was sent with an apology... the entire store order.

Seems that the quality was much better on round two.

Simple survival school basics. Keep a pair of dry socks in your coat pocket and when your socks get wet and your feet start getting cold put the dry socks on. Instant warm feet.

Glenn

I just thought you were happy to see Timmy:oops::roll::wink:

I bought a pair of boots from Columbia sportswear that are rated at -65F. They are over rated but still light, waterproof, compact, and better than anything I have used as far as warmth vs pedal/heel brake feel. Columbia really stands behind their gear and I would buy another pair if they ever wear out.
Men’s Bugaboot® Plus XTM Omni-Heat

Last edited:
SealSkinz.com, I wade fish in cold water. You can get boots wet,feet stay dry and warm. They have calf,knee length.

Back