• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

CA to KS in Rans S7S

Helmetfire

FRIEND
Caldwell, Texas
Hey all

Ferrying an S7S to Dodge City, KS over the next 2 or 3 days. Leaving Modesto as early as possible in the morning hoping to make it to the Grand Junction/Montrose area for my first RON...don't wanna end up in a dry county ;-)

Planned routing (subject to change of course) is Mammoth pass, Tonopah NV, Beaver UT, then Mack Mesa/Grand Junction/Montrose area. Next day will be following I-50 through Monarch pass and down the Arkansas river to destination.

Wx is looking good with a nice high pressure system sitting right over most of my route..

Any tips or suggestions on places to stay, and which airports in the area are easy to get to food and lodging, are appreciated!! Also, an outlet I could use for preheating would be nice...maybe that outlet could be in a hangar!! :lol:

Thanks, Aaron

Last edited:
Helmetfire, sounds like a great trip. Just a word of caution on the proposed route: At this time of year going over the Rockies, one is likely to encounter "interesting" (read: SEVERE) turbulence in the rotor associated with lee wave. It's been hit-or-miss how clued-in the FSS folks are these days about this. Their canned forcast package probably over-forcasts turbulence, and useful interpretation beyond that has been spotty. The peak-level winds aloft forcasts can be a red flag.

At this time of year, you might consider the I-40 route until well downstream from the rocks. Plus Monarch pass can be quite a climb, even for a capable performer like the S-7. Many of the locals actually prefer Marshall Pass, just south of Monarch: It's the old railroad grade, so less steep climb gradient required, and not as high.

But have a GREAT trip, and please regale us with stories and photos.

Thanks. cubscout

Some of the fun is the unexpected. Just go where the plane and weather lead you.

Back