• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

CMX not allowing skiplane takeoff/landing along side of runway

Dan Gervae

FRIEND
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Do we, as pilot's have any say in this. The airport manager will not allow takeoffs or landings next to the runway. Some of us fly on skis and this is the only recourse...other than wheel/skis. What are our options?

Do we, as pilot's have any say in this. The airport manager will not allow takeoffs or landings next to the runway. Some of us fly on skis and this is the only recourse...other than wheel/skis. What are our options?
Approach his airport board, reasonably and in numbers representitive,

Ours promotes it and makes sure there are no plow truck snow banks in the way of getting to the fuel pump! Remember the entire property is an "aerodrome", it's up to the pilot how to use it. Gently remind the board of that...

Dan, my understanding is the airport manager officially will say no landing there but won't pursue anyone who chooses to disobey. He's also talking about grooming 7-25 this winter. It's because certain people need an official answer is what's wrecking it for us all. If you wreck you might get in trouble but if you don't wreck I don't see any problems. I think that J3 needs to land there a few times this winter. By next year there will be a better place you can land a few miles north. I recently talked with one of our local ski guys and that was his interpretation still. Maybe things changed?
Tom

It was my understanding from TL that it was not going to be allowed. If what you say is true...no big deal. the one guy was worried about insurance I guess. Even if you did wreck...why would it be a problem to land on straight skis next to the runway if was deemed safe by you the PIC. That would be using good judgement and landing one's plane in the most appropriated spot for a ski equipped aircraft. If they are planning to groom the 7-25 then that is great....we can even help. I was getting a little different story. Thanks Tom.

Back