• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Burl's tail ski/Bushwheels wide fork

sierra bravo

Has anyone adapted or attempted to adapt a tail ski to fit a Bushwheels or GarAero wide fork?

Last edited:
Moving those angles would be simple. The U bolt would have been the more difficult task for a one-off production. Not too difficult, I don't think. I just wondered what others may be doing. If Burl will make me a ski I'll spare myself the exercise and will buy one from him. If not, I'll make one. Changing the entire tailwheel assy was simple on the -12. One bolt. With the head casting bonded to the Cessna's tail spring it isn't as convenient. That's why I'm curious about a custom ski.

Last edited:
I found it easier to have the whole assembly with a 3200 all bolted on. I was lucky enough to get a deal on a fork and such as a left over trade in at ABW. I already had the TW from the changeover to the BBW. It is faster to swap the whole thing out then try to adapt to the bush wheel.

Like I said, I'm interested in the ski for a Cessna tailwheel that's bonded and bolted. I have a complete 3400 assembly with a Magnum 1 ski attached. I'm looking for a better option. Or a simpler option, anyway.

And... thanks to Dave for the comment about Burl. I called him this morning and was told he has begun producing an STC/PMA approved Magnum 1 tail ski for use with the BBW. Reeve had one on the shelf. I had no idea. The attachment U bolt that I was scratching my head over is very different from the original ski and Burl's solution is very clever. You install the "tee" member under the nut of the fork-to-head bolt and it stays on forever. There's a yoke to the little shock body that attaches to the tee. Instead of the cast/shaped relief for seating against the fork the new piece has a rubber jacket. Install of the ski will be easier after the initial install. Very cool. This is a viable option for Cubs, too. Cheaper than a second tailwheel and ski. The AML includes pretty much any airplane you'd want the ski for. Nice work, Burl.

BTW, the tail ski paperwork specifically excludes applicability for GarAero forks but I hear Performance Airmotive in Wasilla may have a ski for those. I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Back