• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

constant speed propeller on rotax 914ul

lamothemartin

canada
`Some body try differente constant speed propellor with a rotax 914? airmaster and MT-propellor offert some interresting product with electric motor , 2 or 3 blade with different kind of composite blade. its for my sport trainer with a rotax914, i have a warp drive 3 blade 70 inch fixed pitch, i fly more the 900 hours with this setup and am totaly satisfated of the warpdrive product, so constant speed its a very interresting compromise.

At one time Ivo Prop had an inflight adjustable propeller and a ground adjustable version as well. Not sure if they have a version for the 914 or not but I think they did.

http://www.ivoprop.com/

More money. More weight. More things to go wrong. Not legal on a LSA. That's the bad part.... just saying. KiSS works for me anyway. Nothing beats light. Having said all that, those that have them claim to like them.

Ivoprop makes a nice three blade composite electric adjustable pitch prop. Have flown a couple of them and they are lightweight and work great. Don

I had a 4 bladed hydraulic Whirlwind prop on my Titan T51. It had a Rotax 912 ULS-3, the -3 is set up for the hydraulic prop governor. The system worked perfect. The prop was about $9500.00 and around $1500.00 for the gonernor. The entire prop weighed under 30 pounds.

What would the pros of a CS prop be over one that is ground adjustable?

A ground adjustable prop has to be set while the engine is stopped on the ground. So, it is the same as a fixed pitch prop, except that you can easily select which pitch you want.
A constant speed is continuously adjustable in flight. Most common method of adjustment is with a hydraulic engine driven governor controlled from the cockpit.

Compare this with a car driving in just one gear all the time with one which has an automatic transmission.

Sorry I knew I wasn't specific enough.

Why in an LSA or aircraft of a similar size would the weight and complexity of CS prop be worth the hassel? I've never flown a CS prop and don't really see the need unless you are flying long distances.

Back