• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bryant Field, Alaska, FAA wants class D

They already have everything from Elmendorf to Birchwood. Why do they need another air base right next to Elmendorf? No one obviously needed it for the last ten years.

Field has been there a long time. The problem is they want to make it class D airspace. This will force everyone who flies the corridor from anch to the valley, very highly traveled, to ask permission to fly through or be forced to climb over then descend.

They already have everything from Elmendorf to Birchwood. Why do they need another air base right next to Elmendorf? No one obviously needed it for the last ten years.

Increased helo activity is the reason behind the proposal. One good thing about Bryant right now is that you can call Tower on 125.0 and when they are manned, they can give you the real-time status of R2203.

I doubt many treat it as class D now. Most fly right down the center of the slot between the highway and the hills. I would bet most inbound traffic is listening to the ATIS at Merrill or Lake Hood and most outbound guys aren't listening to anything. Traffic has been traversing that route for decades without incident.

I doubt many treat it as class D now. Most fly right down the center of the slot between the highway and the hills. I would bet most inbound traffic is listening to the ATIS at Merrill or Lake Hood and most outbound guys aren't listening to anything. Traffic has been traversing that route for decades without incident.
When inbound to Merrill I used to always report "abeam Bryant" on initial call up to MRI. It was bad enough scanning for traffic without the necessity of another frequency change. Probably couldn't have Merrill be the class D contact for both?

Back