• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

0320 cam failure

Jim Scarborough

Hello All,
Well my 0320 eat its cam, and now I am in the overhaul mode. With all the new stuff out there, what is working? I am looking for what types of cam profiles are being used, and what kind of performance is realized from different cams. I am not going to go the route of roller cam. This is experimental. All information would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

For most people in most situations the original factory cam is going to be your best bet, but if you want to talk to someone who knows about modified cams in Lycomings I suggest you call Ly-Con in Visalia, CA.

If I were looking to get more zip out of an O-320 there are a number of other things I would do before changing the cam, but that's just me.

Increasing performance

The single most effective (and cost-effective) way to increase horsepower is to increase compression ratio. If you are overhauling an engine anywa,y it costs very little to put in higher compression pistons. You can then use the extra power when you need it and throttle back when you don't to save wear and tear on the engine. If you have one of those 4-tubes-into-a-big-can exhaust systems I would dump that in favor of a system by Power Flow, or Vetterman if experimental, or a similar type exhaust. Next I would work on the cylinder head ports, because it is not terribly expensive if done at overhaul time. Only then would I consider things like cams, cold air induction systems, etc.

Another thing you can do with an O-320 is change the crank to an ECi stroker and bump the displacement up to 340 inches. This is not a cheap mod, but as the racers say, there is no substitute for cubic inches.

The problem with looking to the cam for increased horsepower is that any "improvements" tend to hold the valves open longer and thereby decrease the effective compression ratio. You can compensate fro this by increasing the compression ratio, but gains tend to come at the top end of the power band at the expense of the bottom. In a car you can just spin the engine up faster and adjust the gearing, but not so in an airplane. The prop controls your maximum rpm.

The trick is to make as much torque as possible at 2700 rpm and hang onto as much of that torque as possible down to about 2300 rpm where you are going to begin your takeoff roll (assuming fixed prop). If you increase torque at 2700 rpm but lose it at 2300 rpm you are a net loser with takeoff performance. Since the factory cam is already pretty well optimized for this rpm range it is not easy to make usable power gains with modified cams.

If you really want to talk to a cam expert when it comes to Lycoming engines call Ken Tunnell at Ly-Con. (559-651-1070) He has forgotten more about these engines that I will ever know.

If you have one of those 4-tubes-into-a-big-can exhaust systems I would dump that in favor of a system by Power Flow, or Vetterman if experimental, or a similar type exhaust.

Dave, what's the advantage of going to the crossover system? I've got four straight pipes going into a collector now. But I've been working with Clint at Vetterman on the crossover system. My first test came up with identical static RPM's and identical WOT straight & level RPM's under the same conditions. The main reason for going to the Vetterman system is increased cabin and carb heat. And it does help there a lot as well as being noticably more quiet.

What I didn't know was that there could be a performance benefit too.

BTW, Clint is very easy to work with and produces a quality product.

I am impressed with Vetterman, too. Good products, good prices, good people. There is a dramatic effect going from the big can-type exhaust to a free flowing system like the Vetterman, mainly from reduced back pressure, but also from a mild scavenging effect. The 4-pipe Vetterman does a better job of scavenging but the improvement is slight compared to the gains made going to their cross-over system.

To get better heat out of the cross-over system you can put cabin heat muffs on both tail pipes and link them together, but the 4-pipe system uses a larger heat muff that surrounds 2 pipes and seems to do a better job of producing heat for the cabin.

Sadly Vetterman is not interested in jumping through the hoops with the FAA to get an STC to install their system on a certificated PA-18. I am not sure if Power Flow ever got a system approved or not. They were sort of dragging their feet on that last time I checked.

Back