• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Question about holes in wood spars

SkwentnaMan

Wasilla,AK
I'm looking at buying an experimental Wag Sportsman 2+2 . It has wood spars that look like new, they are 14 years old. I found that the builder ran the aileron cables on the front side of the front spar then drilled a hole for the cables to route though to the ailerons. Its on the outboard side of the strut attachments and has a ply wood double plate were the hole is. The hole is about the size of a dime, same on both wings. Is this accepatable with would spars ?, the plane has been flying for years like this.

Thank you

Wood naturally is malaligned stucturally (no two parts have the exact same strength). A small hole away from an attachment frame may not matter too much?

Are there any knots or other visual deformities within 10 inches of the hole?

I'm building a wood spar 2+2 (with wood flaps and ailerons). There are lots of other holes in the spar; I can't see how another hole would make a significant difference in strength. I would make sure there has not been any significant rubbing of the cables on the edges of the hole. All holes that I have drilled are coated on the inside with epoxy to prevent moisture from getting into the wood grain. Any chafing of the cable could let moisture into the wood. I would carefully inspect the holes to make sure there is no issues of discoloration that might indicate a problem. Graying around the hole would be something to look at but might not be a problem. With a hole that small it is possible that the cable will have rubbed the wood. Look carefully and determine if any discoloration might be from water or simply contamination from oil on the cable. I'll bet there aren't any problems when you get a good look at it.
Marty57

Tension and compression loads are on the top and bottom of the spars. If the hole is in the middle for the passage of the cable then it's in the neutral area. Many wood spar aircraft designs have holes to pass cables and pushrods. Some even rout out the center of the spars for weight reduction.

Last edited:
Back