• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Public admission of water rudder guilt.

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
On Sept 9, 2012 I Alex Clark flew around (while breaking in a new cylinder, piston, exhaust gaskets and oil sump gasket) for 2.5 hours with my float rudder down and I even made one landing that way....(X-wind take off and landing , so I did leave it down on purpose during take-off, but totally screwed up after that point) Further that Mark Munro of Stellar Air caught me, since I was orbiting the lake low enough for all to see my blunder .....

I hang my head in shame...

The appropriate penalty is for you to buy a case of beer ans share with those who witnessed the infraction. I think I saw you go by my lake in Michigan in that configuration if I'm not mistaken.:wink:

I'll be darn!!! I saw him too!!! Alex must have covered a lot of territory that day. ;)

These things happen Alex and there is therapy for a full recovery... :D
infraction1.jpg

Last edited:
I was flying up in northern canada a few years ago. Just flying around the lakes and having a good time. As i was landing back in the little town, just as I touched down on the water, I heard over the radio; "I believe you owe me a case of beer". There was a friend sitting in his Beaver waiting to take off. needless to say we had a good time that evening when he returned from his trip drinking up that case of beer and telling lies with our friend.

John

The guy in the above shot over Gull called me out on rudders 3 days prior to this. This pic negated any necessity to go to the store... :D

I leave them down from time to time... just to keep a good supply of beer in camp for my friends!

Not to say I had 'never' forgot...

but my cub, when rigged to fly fastest,, would actually fly better in trimming with the rudders down. So for me it was habit to take off and drop the rudders back down... suddenly the ball went to center...

then back up for landing.

It was a rigging problem that never got worked out.

Hmmm, flying in fog so thick you had to have the rudders down to steer??

Back