• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cow sh!t and electrocution

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
I am over trying to get the cow crud of the bottom of my wings. So I have installed a light weight electric fence along the runway. Fibre glass rods and nylon braid so as if there is a mishap, there won't be damage to the plane. But if I, or some one in a metal plane, touches the 8000 volts with the wing tip or strut, will it fry the avionics?

Don't know abut that but I can tell you what one did to my father-in-law's pace maker when he got into the charger around his boat dock...

I've heard if you pee on the wire your whacker will grow another couple inches. Give it a try and let us know if it works, better yet, have Tim try it......

Hi Cgoldy
Dry short grass should be no problem. Maybe turn it off or ground it out when flying to be sure. Once trained (best done in a pen) the cattle shouldn't bother the fence unless very hungry. If you have a fence jumper, send her down the road or eat her. She'll look better on the barby.
Don't know about the 'whacker' idea. If 'Tim' does test it, send him over here, I have a few jobs that need doing.
BTW....nearly finished my BCC (actually a Smithcub) & hoping for the first flight this fall.
Ole

I've heard if you pee on the wire your whacker will grow another couple inches. Give it a try and let us know if it works, better yet, have Tim try it......
I talked my brother into that when we were kids. The thought of it still makes me snicker.

I agree with ohansen, turn the fencer off when you think you will touch it with the plane. I have a hot wire I have to maintain and it is turned off some and cows and bulls still respect it. I think they think, is it or isn't it.

Theres a 10,000 head feedlot at northwood, nd and all he uses on some pens of bulls is a single wire electric fence, they work.Most living things just dont like that jolt. I seen a guy grab one once and i could see the spark go from his nose to his glasses.

SteveE,

I copped 8000 volts in the right testical and yes, there was some swelling. Your therory may work.

There is no way I could not have clicked on this thread - best title ever - then I tried to figure out who started the thread - Oh, that makes sense - an Aussie, gotta love those people!

I am over trying to get the cow crud of the bottom of my wings. So I have installed a light weight electric fence along the runway. Fibre glass rods and nylon braid so as if there is a mishap, there won't be damage to the plane. But if I, or some one in a metal plane, touches the 8000 volts with the wing tip or strut, will it fry the avionics?

Interesting question. The animal bridges the hot wire to the ground. I suspect a plane's tires would prevent grounding. Probably depends on the grass and moisture content, and the tailwheel would be the likely grounding spot. I know guys on this site that use electric fences as an everyday part of airplane parking. Maybe they know. The easy answer is to avoid driving your airplane into fences.

Hey Ocker,a bit of couth please.A kiwi guy I knew used to hook up his electric fence unit direct to his cessna 180 on overnites,said it never affected his avionics and worked well.No guarantees tho!

Report on the electric fence. I have touched it now many times with the wing tips and rudder of the RV when turning at the end of the runway. All avionics are still working fine.

I don't know what bothers me more, the fact that you call it a whacker or the fact that you think of Tim when your thinking of your whacker.

Glenn

My thought is the trouble you would be in , in accident with fuel leakage, tangled up in this fence?

Well, when I saw the title to this thread I thought it might be a line in a country western song.

But I can tell you from personal experience, it'll get your attention if you touch the wire... :yikez:

Hot electric fences. I have flown through one and skidded through another, my radio and GPS still work. (and nothing got bigger either).

Neighbors bull got out and tried to mate with my buddies Supercub. Good thing he never got as far as mounting it, but the horns did a nice sculpture job on the boot cowl and the engine cowling.

I don't know what airplanes do in an electric fence, but I know that I can touch an electric fence when riding an atv with no part of me touching the ground except the tires on the atv and I definately know if the electric fence is working or not. I don't know how it's making a circuit but somehow it is.

Dave

when we were kids, we put up alot of elecric fence. we grazed corn stalks in the fall. to check it we would gently drive into it.. With the am radio, you could hear the charger pulse.

I don't know what airplanes do in an electric fence, but I know that I can touch an electric fence when riding an atv with no part of me touching the ground except the tires on the atv and I definately know if the electric fence is working or not. I don't know how it's making a circuit but somehow it is.

Dave
It's all difference in potential. Voltage looks for a difference in potential. The ATV may have been wet or sufficient carbon in same to allow for a path for current flow depending on how much voltage. Real rubber tires like AKB may be a pretty good insulator. Could be another advertising gimmick for them!

Dave

You were just the path to charge your ATV up to 10,000 volts (or whatever the line is). When the voltage potential is so high it will jump even without connection. That is why the power line guys running copters will run a pole to the line to charge up the copter before they jump onto the line.

Tim

I flew my J-5 through an electric fence once. I had Mike Clark in the back seat. At the time, he was the field goal and place kicker for the Dallas Cowboys (during their Super Bowl winning days). I could have easily changed NFL history. I couldn't tell that it effected my VHT-3 Superhomer, but it did alter my seat cushions.

Back