• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub, J-3 Fuselage, PA-18 Wing

29singlespeed

Hello--
I have been lurking around these parts for a while now. Received my tail wheel endorsement in a PA-18 160hp. I have been looking at planes and a true super cub is out of the $$ now.

Just saw this plane on trade-a-plane and I am wondering if anyone has flown a similar experimental modded cub?

Its on t-a-plane -- Super Cub, J-3 Fuselage, PA-18 Wing, built 2003 Cont. IO-360, 150 hp, less than 200 hrs. GPS/Comm, xponder.

Thanks!
Travis
moab, ut

Mine is similar. 1946 J-3 but with an 0-235, PA-18 wings, gear, tail, cowls, panel, metal prop, electric start, Dakota Trim System, on wheels reight now but also have Edo 1400 floats. Great airplane. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.

If you buy the one you mention, get someone to do a Pre-buy inspection on it before you plop down your hard earned cash. It will be money well spent. I have seen some really flaky airplanes out there with doctored up logbooks. Just because an advertisement says it has this or that doesn't always make it so. Pay particular attention to the engine logs. Make sure the most recent major overhaul was done by a reputable shop and not in the back of someone's dirty old t-hanger. I know of a recent encounter by someone I know personally who bought an airplane that was advertised as having 145 hours SMOH, and after buying the airplane found out that the previous owner had a prop strike inspection done on it and had passed that off as a major overhaul in his advertisement. Tedious evaluation of the logbooks determined that the engine had the data tag on it from another engine, the most recent major overhaul was done in 1964, and the current engine had over 2200 hours on it. Be careful.

Last edited:
Mine is similar. 1946 J-3 but with an 0-235, PA-18 wings, gear, tail, cowls, panel, metal prop, electric start, Dakota Trim System, on wheels reight now

Hi, What is they weight of your J-18? :)

....... Cont. IO-360, 150 hp, less than 200 hrs.........

Something is wrong here. A Continental IO-360 is 6 cylinder fuel injected engine rated at 210 hp and when used in a Cessna 172XP is derated to 190 hp. If this is being advertised as a 150 hp engine there is either a misprint or something else is out of place.

Make sure the most recent major overhaul was done by a reputable shop and not in the back of someone's dirty old t-hanger..

Guess you never visited Mattituck, one of the "biggest names" in the engine biz (but now gone...good riddance). Walking through their engine build shop showed me that it's ok to use rattle cans to paint engines and who needs a torque wrench or manual nearby? It wouldn't have surprised me to see a goat walk down the hall either, not exactly a sterile environment in the buldings... Big names = big dollars, not necessarily quality.

Guess you never visited Mattituck, one of the "biggest names" in the engine biz (but now gone...good riddance). Walking through their engine build shop showed me that it's ok to use rattle cans to paint engines and who needs a torque wrench or manual nearby? It wouldn't have surprised me to see a goat walk down the hall either, not exactly a sterile environment in the buldings... Big names = big dollars, not necessarily quality.
John, isnt that the truth. Ive seen lifetime motors come out of the back corner of car garages. But i got to ask, how else do most paint engines?

Last edited:
Uh-oh. I use rattle cans on engine parts too. Am I destined for big problems?

I get over 2000 hours on my small Continental garage overhauls. Oncce in a while I have to pull a cylinder, just like folks who spend 15,000 bucks.

Some of us have seen some real crappy work come out of dirty t-hangers and FAA CertedRepairStations too.

I take Desperado's point well, and as meant.

..buyer beware, period!:)

PS, ...have heard of an O-320 with over 4000 hours that never got good fuel or aviation oil, and the key is that it was run hard it's whole life.....full throttle.

Back