• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

two avionics questions.

Toothcarpenter

CoeurdAlene, Idaho
I have a new Becker transponder with encoder, which I installed on my experimental Bushmaster. I have heard that one should not turn on a transponder, unless it has been certified. Any knowledge anyone? I was going to go up, and talk to approach, and ask if they could see me. DUMB????? Question two. Is there a way to run two com radios, on one antenna? I think that is what I have, but have only ever used one radio, so no problems have been observed.. Let's assume, that two com radios are attached to one antenna. Would transmitting with one, harm the other, if they were both on? Thanks for any learned comments.

Yes, there is a cert (calibration?) process that goes in the aircraft logbook and is supposed to be repeated periodically (two years, I'm thinking?). And I asked the avionics tech at Soloy about running two radios off of one antenna, and was told no, at least not without an antenna switch.

you absolutely should have your transponder and altittude encoder checked and certified for accuracy. It usually costs around 125.00 to 200.00, depending where in the USA you are. that particular inst has to be certified whether you are experimental or not, because you are flying into the same traffic as everyone else. An antenna switch is necessary because you do not want to backfeed your radio with a signal and run the risk of burning out a final drive transformer or its electronic equivalent. Just install another ant , then you have redundancy .

I have a Becker too and before I had it certified I called up Center on the radio and asked if they saw me and at what altitude. I explained that it was a new install and wanted to know. They told me where I was and what altitude. The Becker shows the altitude the encoder senses and it and Center and my altimeter all agreed. Center was happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone from the middle of nowhere using Tapatalk

Thank you for the assist in knowledge. A second antenna arrived from Spruce yesterday. My panel has a king digital com, and also a seemingly fully installed tray for a KX170 series. The 170 has never been installed, but I did slide a radio in one time, and it recieved as well as the nav worked. I need to study carefully the wiring behind all of the avionics, and figure out what is there. I always wanted two coms, and after reading the threads here regarding the MGL V10, I thought my next project would be to move the KX 170 connections over to an MGL V10. I had further wondered if it was feasable to access the installed aircraft antenna, for an emergency situation, direct connection to a handheld ICOM thru the audio panel and normal headset connections. I have a harness that a local avionics shop made up for me years ago, with plug in connections to connect a handheld, into the exisiting panel mounted system. This is all to complicated for my simple brain. Thanks again for the assist here. Looks like I am going to have antennas sticking out all over the place.

Back