• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

NOAA tries to restrict airspace

eaglepilot

Vancouver Canada
Hi All,

I know that many on the site are vigilant about infringement of Government agencies on flying. Here is a link to a discussion about the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Assoc.) declaring a “No Flight” zone directly beside Copalis State Airport, Wa.

I bring this to your attention to be aware of the NOAA, and how they approach declaring a marine sanctuary directly beside an airport. Some responders note that this is precedent setting.

http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/index.php?topic=9201.0

NOAA has no business shutting down any airspace at all, and the FAA (which has statutory control over the nation's airspace) should NOT have rolled over so easily. What is happening with NOAA is just the camel's nose under the tent to greatly restrict GA flying.

Check this out - now the National Park Service wants in on the act, to be able to shut down flying over national parks:

GA Caucus Fights Threat to Pilot Jobs
By Stephen Pope / Published: Jun 01, 2012

Members of the House General Aviation Caucus have sent a letter to congressional leaders opposing an amendment to a federal transportation bill that some say could kill the nation’s air tour industry.

Eighteen representatives signed the May 30 letter to Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Rep. John Mica (R-FL), whose committees will be considering a highway reauthorization bill that would give unprecedented control to the National Park Service to regulate flights over national parks and tribal lands, including eliminating them altogether.

The bill’s language would result in “lost jobs for pilots, drivers, tour guides, support staff, and local businesses and adversely impact the helicopter manufacturing, maintenance and parts industries,” the letter says. It also notes it would have adverse safety consequences and hurt the air-tour industry just as it is investing in “quiet technology” aircraft.

A joint House-Senate conference committee is currently merging competing versions of the bill.

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/house...2&spJobID=200281415&spReportId=MjAwMjgxNDE1S0

We need to stop this right here and now -- The NPS would like nothing better than to shut down access by the public to our public lands!

NOAA has no business shutting down any airspace at all, and the FAA (which has statutory control over the nation's airspace) should NOT have rolled over so easily. What is happening with NOAA is just the camel's nose under the tent to greatly restrict GA flying.

Check this out - now the National Park Service wants in on the act, to be able to shut down flying over national parks:

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/house...2&spJobID=200281415&spReportId=MjAwMjgxNDE1S0

We need to stop this right here and now -- The NPS would like nothing better than to shut down access by the public to our public lands!

Christina, I'll watch for Senator Inhofe at the airport this weekend, he's the Ranking Minority Member on Senator Boxer's (Senate EPW) Committee and is perhaps our biggest advocate in DC but I'm willing to bet he's already on it. Overall, the thing this caucus needs is reinforcement from all of us and everyone we know who loves aviation.

Eaglepilot, Alaska has lots of sanctuary lands that are depicted on aeronautical charts and include language for pilots to avoid flight below certain altitudes during certain times of year. It would be interesting to compare these long-standing protected areas with your newly protected area. Both from the environmental perspective and the regulatory one.

To the National Parks proposal, I like aviation as much as anyone but I'm all for preserving some places to escape the noise of civilization, including from aircraft. I don't think it's an unreasonable effort.

Stewart,

Read the specifics on the NOAA Marine Sanctuaries....they are pretty egregious.

National Park Service got in on this early on with the Grand Canyon. Ask the operators there how that went. The Boundary Waters Canoe Area put a number of float operators in that neck of the woods out of business. That's a Prohibited area.

I agree that some of these areas are getting hammered by all the helicopters/fixed wing airplanes, but a ban or just giving the NPS or NOAA carte blanche is not the answer.

I have gone to bat with a couple of very well known Alaskan aviators who found themselves crossed up on walrus disturbances, or PERCEIVED disturbances. There is a difference.

MTV

Back