• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Torn Fabric! on the Super Chub!

Superchub

Brighton, CO
IMG_0528.JPGIMG_0529.JPG
Super chub is going to need a patch! I just came back from a great hour long practice session and found this. It looks like it just wore through inside out on the angle brace on the horz stab. the right side is also showing signs of the same. Any 180 Super Cubers have anything similar?

Attachments

• IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 195
That is what I was thinking. Stitch together and then the false stitch through to the bottom. Then tape over the whole mess...

Why wouldn't a patch and glue hold it together? Does it come apart in time? Not asking for any certain reason of course.

AC 43.13-1B Chaper Fabric, Serion 4 "Repairs to Fabric Covering" gives a good guideline for such repairs.

STC trumps 43.13

If it's Poly-Fiber you can glue a patch no matter how big or small the tear. See the manual's appendix.

I'm not certain, but suspect Stewarts, ceconite, superflight and airtec are the same.

Stiching torn fabric is a hold out from the days of cotton.

nkh

Is the paint separating from the fabric?

what weight fabric did you use?

I would use super glue or the super thin CA model glue to re-attach the paint to the fabric then scuff the paint and glue a tape over the top. If the paint's not sticking to the fabric from poor adhesion between the dope and fabric I would remove the paint down to the fabric and glue a tape down with a fabric to fabric bond and then repaint.

the new heavy 101 ceconite/polyfiber fabric is much more difficult to penetrate the weave and get a good bond with. Try reducing your nitrate or poly brush more to get it deeper into the weave.

Jason

Last edited:
Back