• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help with Lake Waldo Oregon Seaplane Access

5000 members here, we could change this in ten minutes. Push the botton or email from the bottom of the page.

SPA MEMBER

Renewed request for comments on waldo lake in oregon[/h]
SPA members, The Oregon Marine Board has received over 3000 letters and emails from people wanting the Waldo Lake to stay seaplane free. This is not in your best interest and I encourage you to act before the April 10th deadline for comments. Please go the Columbia Seaplane Pilots Association website http://c-spa.org/v2/access/comment-to-osmb.html . We have made it easier to submit a comment and while we don't encourage "Button Pushing" and robo emails this matter has become critical. There have been less than a dozen submissions supporting removing or revising the current rule that became effective in 2010.

Thanks for you help, if you have any questions please contact me, Bill Wainwright at: btwainwright@comcast.net or 503 293 7627

Last edited:
I can't change the title? If the botton is not working use the email at the bottom of the page. Sorry for any trouble but appreciate all of you taking time to read and send an email.

Thanks
Glenn

I can't change the title? If the botton is not working use the email at the bottom of the page. Sorry for any trouble but appreciate all of you taking time to read and send an email.

Thanks
Glenn

Glenn,

You can change it if you click on "go advanced", so you know for next time.

Thanks Tim, just noticed. Bills looking into what going on with the email.

Glenn

Last edited:
Hi guys, The CSPA advocacy page that the above link opens is having some difficulty and the OSMB rulemaking letter is not our current preferred one. I am not sure what the problem is but we are looking into it. Please check back or just use the email address to osmb.rulemaking@state.or.us and the talking points to write your own email.

If you are new to this discussion check out the Backstory link at the bottom pf the page. If you have about 40 minutes to see what govt power run amok sounds like listen to the audio file of the 2010 marine board meeting. http://c-spa.org/v2/Sound/Jan_14_2010_OSMB_WaldoVote.wav
Bill W.

sent:

Dear Oregon Marine Board,

Please add my letter to the list of those in support of allowing seaplanes to use Waldo Lake.

I must confess that I am a very uninformed individual when it comes to the specifics of Waldo Lake, but offer the perspective of an airport owner and professional pilot. Closure issues have become overwhelming in the United States as of late, that and the world economic scene have and are driving an important segment of our local economics away.

Closures like Waldo Lake send a message to pilots that they are unwelcome in the area. From experience I can tell you that pilots are willing to spend money when the arrive at a town; motels, food, rental cars and gas are all on their priority list when they travel. Pilots bring money into an area when they travel.

I have been involved with big groups of pilots; as a group they police the area to keep it clean, even if it is not their trash they pick it up and take it out. They offer to assist other folks- need a search? Even transient pilots will take time out of their lives to help, often paying their own gas at the same time. Pilots also are generally careful about disturbance of others, few planes will cause as much noise to ground based folks as a Harley Davidson motorcycle going by.

Country wide there is a push from some select non-profit agencies to remove motorized recreation "for the good of the country". Each form of motorized recreation has been under attack through well organized groups that often have no stake in the outcome of the decision. As an aviator I find it distressing that Oregon supports this movement and is continuing to try restrictions to aircraft when documentation shows that they offer good economic sense and little negative to the area. Pilots may not be as well organized as groups wanting to eliminate aircraft use, but we are and have been users of Waldo Lake, and deserve continued access.

In closing please let me express that as a professional pilot, each restriction that is added onto the growing list of places we can or can not legally fly continues to degradate the overall safety of aviation. As a civilized country we have an expectation of multiple automobile crashes each day on our interstates, but fear greatly the chance of a plane crash. Pilots constantly make decisions concerning safety; at some point Waldo Lake being 'closed for aircraft' will affect a pilot's decision, with a less than desired option taken because of that closure.

Please make Waldo Lake permanently accessabel to aircraft.

George Campbell

By request of cubdriver2, I submit the form letter that can be found behind the button on C-SPA's website.
Problem is that some people do not have the default mail client set up properly on their computers, causing error messages.

You may use this text instead, if you don't feel like typing your own response as recommended by C-SPA.
Feel free to ask any questions, and please make sure to add Bill Wainwright and Mr. Faerge to your email BCC: as shown below:

To: osmb.rulemaking@state.or.us
BCC: btwainwright@comcast.net;faegre@earthlink.net;info@c- spa.org

RE/ Subject: Waldo Lake Comment

Dear Oregon State Marine Board members,

I am contacting you to request that you repeal the rule prohibiting floatplanes on Waldo Lake.

Floatplanes are first and foremost a vehicle of conveyance to reach Waldo Lake, the same as a car, truck or SUV. They do not pollute the marine environment and do not create a safety hazard to others on the lake. Floatplanes are entitled to use the waters of the State of Oregon as their highway, which is protected by State and Federal law, in the absence of any safety or scientific concerns.

I may be a floatplane pilot or I may not be, that is immaterial. What is at stake here is the rights of the citizens of the state and in fact the citizens of the United States to use and enjoy the amenities of Waldo Lake, by whatever means they may elect, and not to have those rights withheld to serve a select highly political special interest.

Please vote per your policy and "promote multiple use and enjoyment of waters of the state for a variety of boating activities" which floatplanes are when not in flight.

Yours Truly,

Feel free to sign with your name and address, and ask for updates/ followup, so you can stay on top of this.
We need a TON of letters and people to spread/ share the word.

Jason Baker
C-SPA Member

George thanks for taking the time to look this over and make a comment. I posted this on here because everybody on this site gives a damm about losing a part of America that everyone should be able to enjoy. If they can close this then they can close places like Johnson Creek someday also. This lake is 2500 mile away from me and I most likely will never even get a chance to visit it . The Columbia seaplane assoc is fighting this alone. Just like Lows Lake in the Adirondacks the National, Seaplane Pilots Assoc has chose to ignore what's going on at Waldo Lake. Their are a couple hundred of us water pilots that are tired of the SPA looking the other way again, we have refused to rejoin SPA because we feel that our money never go's towards any kind of advocacy fights. So, We need everyone we can find to try to turn this Waldo Lake issue around because the SPA has not shown an interest in any of this. I'm sorry the links posted arn't working but you can copy and paste this email osmb.rulemaking@state.or.us and make a comment to KEEP Waldo Lake Open to Everyone.

Thanks
Glenn

PS. more info over at www.seaplaneforum.com Waldo Lake can use your help

I got fed up with SPA and AOPA a number of years ago...

I do give AOPA the nod on some of their more recent works, and (I can tell MTV is getting ready to pounce on me) I know we need a voice...

But for some reason I do not like the way the SPA has become an go easy route group.

Wow! this supercub forum has really come alive. Thanks to all who are contributing to help CSPA in the effort to turn around the closure of Waldo lake. After reading George Campbell's letter want to bring up another way you can help. The Oregon Department of Aviation (ODA) is also a very important piece of this puzzle. And it is going to be very difficult for the Marine Board to impliment the continued prohibition on seaplanes without their consent. There was a board meeting in February at which time the director of the marine board asked for a resolution in support of the proposed closure rule. The ODA board unanimously rebuffed him and voted to not concur with the rule. We need to show the ODA Board that this is not just an Oregon issue as has been mentioned in this forum. It would be very helpful if all your letters were cc'd to the ODA. The Director is Mitch Swecker, his email is: Mitch.T.Swecker@state.or.us . Please CC your OSMB comments or address emails directly to Mitch Swecker and the members of the Board. Also please bcc your comments to me at btwainwright@comcast.net.

You guys are great, thanks
Bill Wainwright
CSPA V P

Not sure if the states mailbox is full but I got an 'undeliverable' message when I sent my email to them.

WWhunter,You might be correct. I learned that some days there are over 500 emails that come in to the marine board from the paddle boaters, i.e. Sierra Club and Oregon Wild members, that are saturating them with emails. Good luck and thanks.

Thanks for all the emails that this forum has generated. We are over 270 at this point. The public hearing is tonight and we expect to see a change in the rule. We don't know what it will be at this point but when we do I will report it here.

Thanks for all the help.

Bill Wainwright and the CSPA

With all your help we have been given the go ahead to work with the Oregon Dept of Aviation (ODA) to craft operational rules on Waldo Lake. CSPA will be working with the ODA staff and other "stake holders" to try to come to an agreement so floatplanes can visit Waldo Lake in peace. This wont be easy since nearly 4000 comments were sent in by people wanting outboard motors and floatplanes to stay away and the Governor came out from under his rock and is pushing for our exclusion. The Outboard motor folks will probably continue to pursue their lawsuit that seeks to overturn the past and now new rule banning them from the lake. See this article in the Eugene newspaper. http://www.registerguard.com/web/newslocalnews/27895072-41/board-ban-lake-oregon-marine.html.csp And visit our Waldo Lake webpage from time to time to see what we have posted on the progress of this new rulemaking. http://www.c-spa.org/v2/access/waldo-lake.html

Thanks again,
Bill Wainwright
CSPA V P

Found this over on the C-SPA site

Association support on Waldo Lake Issue
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]CSPA would like to express thanks to the many associations and Forums that carried the Waldo Lake story to their readers. We had thousands of views and that in return helped generate over 300 written responses to the Oregon Marine Board and Department of Aviation. For the first time AOPA weighed in a seaplane issue here in Oregon by writing a letter and running a story on their online news service. We also had letter head letters from the Recreational Aviation Foundation, Seaplaneforum.com, Walter Windus wrote a letter as the Chairman of the SPA Board and Ed Rosiak, President of the California Pilots Association posted our message on their website as did the BC Floatplane Assn. and Washington SPA. We even got a plug from EAA. But those were just the ones that were cc’d thru email, no doubt there were many more that we didn’t get cc’s on. thanks to those of you we haven't mentioned.
The Seaplaneforum.com had over 2500 views, Supercub.org had over 1100 and Backcountry Pilot.org had over 500. SPA had almost 500 hundred hits and carried it on their ‘Hot Advocacy Issues’ link to their forum. We received unsolicited donations from several pilots and a very generous contribution from BackcountryPilot.org

Glenn
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Back