• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

hydrofoil float design

OVEREASYGUY

SPONSOR
New Gloucester, Maine
Once I read about floats which had some kind of hydrofoil sticking out of the side which helped it get up on step quicker. I have EDO 2000's - i'm hopeful I might get them on this summer - I was just wondering if this particular item can be added to EDO 2000's? Where do I find it and what was it?
Thanks
cliff in Maine

Ah.. I wasn't saying that they'd hit the dock.. you will on the first landing, as they don't come down off the step like the "old float" use too !

A few simple thoughts from the Darwin file.

If you are not getting on the step fast, CHECK your rigging, propeller, engine, W/B, and skills. Remember, you still need to climb after leaving the water. Those crazy fins turn into parasitic DRAG and ADD WEIGHT after leaving the water.

The danger is leaving the lake and surrounding area in a poor climbing seaplane. If you are having trouble getting on the step, your seaplane is talking to YOU. Please listen to it. Why add more drag and weight when you need to climb (in air).

Also, the arm on those fins look like they would loosen the best rivets in no time too (AKA flimsy).

And, do not forget to check your density altitude in the mountains, which is a major cause of bent metal and body parts.

Water Wings

I have a pair of CrosswindSTOL's Water Wings on my EDO-2000's.

Yes, you are up on the step faster, but with timed takeoff's with/without them on, there is only a second or two improvement.

Step turns feel "tighter" with a better feeling of control.

No, they do not catch weeds. Yes, a flat trailer is required for moving, unless you take them off (easy with three screws). (they do not extend below the floats)

It is harder to roll the floats for a takeoff, so now straight takeoff with them on.....but it is easy to take off without even touching the stick!

I prefer to leave them on all of the time....

Glenn

Back