• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Little Fun

cubdriver2

FRIEND
upstate NY
This winter bites if you like playing in the snow, by now I would have over 40hrs on skis just playing on the weekends. Only 5 this year but played a little today after I got the picture manual out on how to put the skis on :oops: Flew over to a Dairy that does breakfast in the saphouse when their making maple syrup.

003-6.jpg

008-7.jpg

009-8.jpg

014-3.jpg

Glenn

Great shots Glenn!
Glad to see you had some snow. We are still void of it....although we did get down into the 20s today. Is winter finally coming now that we are looking forward to spring??

cafi

Great shots Glenn!
Glad to see you had some snow. We are still void of it....although we did get down into the 20s today. Is winter finally coming now that we are looking forward to spring??

cafi
Cafi,
We got 12 inches of snow last Thursday and the forecast is for 60 degree weather by the end of this week. It has been a crazy winter for sure. I have only logged two hours of ski time this winter.

Larry

Sure is crazy....and not just here in the northeast....seems the entire country is having wild and weird weather. Saw forecast for more tornado activity in the midwest on Friday. YIKES!

cafi

See how they are smiling? Full belly's.

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 150
Back on Feb 4th we tried to have a ski day but nobody had any snow so we had 17 planes show up on wheels, ice was very slick and a little windy, and some went for some wild rides trying to taxi crosswind or downwind but we all went home with the same paint we came with.

Tooltime
173.jpg
170.jpg
171.jpg
174.jpg

And something you don't see on the ice very often an OTW
177.jpg

And they have to prop it
IMG_0098.jpg

And our friend Cliff owns a 1200' strip on the end of the same lake, and he keeps his C170 at it and on skis when we have snow but he couldn't make it because he was delivering supplies to the crew way way way down south for the ANG. Hard to believe that we service Antarctica from Schenectady NY but that's the home base. Cliff and his big ski rig.

DSC_4948.jpg

Glenn

Last edited:
Yea, we haven't been this year yet. They'll be boiling shortly I would think.

This is how low I'm going for ski flying. Don't know if I can call this ski flying cause I could have gone on wheels but skis are more fun. Made a 200 mile jaunt around the Adirondacks by myself today.
005-6.jpg

009-9.jpg

017-3.jpg

020-4.jpg

Almost no snow when I got back
021-3.jpg

022-3.jpg

023-2.jpg

Glenn

The last day I flew on skis last winter the strip was like Glenn's last picture when I arrived back at the home strip after a morning of flying. Little did I know that would be my last ski flying for awhile-this year has been a bust. What little snow we had, briefly, failed to coincide with my schedule. My other joy, cross-country skiing, didn't happen either. And who can forget washing the car in the driveway in January in Maine?!

On to the next season. Here's hoping the airstrip dries out quickly to usher in an early spring flying season.

We got together again this morning with part of the crew at the saphouse. Nice 20mph crosswind to keep us in shape.

258.jpg

259.jpg

257.jpg

Glenn

Flew the skiplane from the lake to the hangar yesterday....pulled out the floatplane and flew it home off the snow....landed on the still frozen albeit slushy lake and float season 2012 officially begins. It was 64 degrees:) It is supposed to be 70 by Wednesday. The floats handled surprisingly well on the snow 12" deep....I could even taxi and turn....I just pulled back the stick and stepped on the rudder and she turned nicely on the back of the step....It was a blast. No dolly takeoff for me this year. Left camera at hangar so no pictures:( I miss the OTW that my dad's buddy had....I got some time in it back in the 80's.....the 160 Kinner was a hoot.....boogety boogety boogety...the 5 cylinder sounded awesome.

Met up with Tim and Nic at island Bobs for lunch. Flew the whole afternoon with the door open and on the way home I buzzed about 10 private strips but landed at Skipsters on here, and while we were there a brand spankin new Carbon Cub landed. What a day, we normally would still have a few good ski days this time of year but instead I flew 4 hrs with the door open

002-9.jpg

003-7.jpg

Glenn

Nothing wrong with door-open flying this time of the year!!

Stop into Harris Airport when you kids are out hoppin' - 8NK3 - just NE of KGFL. Give me a shout and we'll get lunch - I'musually in the shop all weekend. Once the grass is up, we'll be doing a fly-in.

We got together again for breakfast at Henry Tipols 1100' strip and Ron Jones from Eaton Aviation shows up with one of the nicest Pa11 I've ever seen, but it's no hangar queen, it's going back to Pa and then camping in Montana for part of the summer so maybe it will make it to JC.

003-8.jpg

001-7.jpg

011-3.jpg

Glenn

Last edited:
We got together again for breakfast at Henry Tipols 1100' strip and Ron Jones from Eaton Aviation shows up with one of the nicest Pa11 I've ever seen, Total restoration. It's amazing what he and Dave get done in four months. They have won at Lock Haven and Oshkosh before and this 11 is really sweet, but it's no hangar queen, it's going back to Pa and then camping in Montana for part of the summer so maybe it will make it to JC.

Glenn

Identical configuration and paint job, 16 serial numbers and 28 N-numbers away from the infamous "Speedy's" PA-11. His won't be winning any beauty awards, but it sure flies nice!

Back to the saphouse this morning, the darn alfalfa is starting to grow and it might be our last visit till next year. Our friend Cliff is back from hauling supply's to the bottom of the earth and flew in with his C170.

021-4.jpg

019-6.jpg

015-6.jpg

014-4.jpg

Glenn

Last edited:
If anyone needs any snow for ski flying, I'd be glad to donate some. I've still got 4 ft in the back yard. Just got another 8-10 inches yesterday. It was 8 to 10 (F) below each morning last week.

Jim W

Winter bites again this year. I know that the rest of you are laughing but this is the best I can do so far this year. Hardly worth the effort but I had to have some ski fun. Please let it snow. We used to get 200" a year.

003-14.jpg

005-17.jpg

009-14.jpg

Glenn

We got about the same amount over here Glenn, I'd be with you, but it'll be a couple of weeks before I'm ready

We got nate. Darn grass is still green. Can't even fly off that it is so wet.....

Back