• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dynon Skyview vs. Ipad

pfjay52

FRIEND
Port Lincoln, South Australia
my eyes were opened to the joys of an Ipad with our Australian version of a flight bag called 'Ozrunways'. i was seriously considering a Skyview in my experimental Cub. But how can i justify the extra cost of the 'Skyview' system compared to the versatility of the Ipad?
i'll be interested seeing what people think of both and their individual features?
thanks in advance,
Phil

Use a map Phil less hastles.In all seriousness a fixed installation beats all.

Go out in the bright sun and try to read both of them. With Skyview you can monitor all you engine functions and get synthetic vision and have all your instruments. Last but not least, the Ipad will beat the heck out of Skyvies's moving map. Almost anything will but they should be getting it better all the time.

WingX for iPad provides a "synthetic vision" if you add some hardware. I think the biggest advantage with the iPad is that it will continue to improve year to year faster than dedicated systems. iPad is taloking about coming out with a smaller size which will fit in the cockpit better.

ps...

new Ipad announcement on 7th....

I wounder if the hardware will get any better, as far as aviation uses(gps speed etc..)

I agree with Ron, Dplunkt, and Mike. The iPad takes up a lot of space in the cockpit when you factor in the Ram mount. The moving map capability using WingX is nice (although significantly less versatile than a Garmin handheld). I have had occasion to use my iPad/WingX as a backup to the Capstone system when I have had alternator or Capstone failures, and it has proved quite handy. And Mike is right about the evolution: iPad hardware and software is likely to evolve more rapidly than purpose-built Dynon gear. To me, both solutions have their pros and cons, and if I could afford it, I'd put the Dynon in the panel and keep the iPad in my gear bag as a backup.

The soon to be announced iPad 3 will have a faster processor and a retina display like the iPhone 4 and 4S. The display will likely be as bright (sunlight readable) as the Garmin units (696-796). I'm betting it will be a quantum leap for the ForeFlight and WingX Pro apps.

Can't wait to give Kathy back her iPad 1 and transfer Foreflight to a 3.
I have a kneeboard and bluetooth GPS for both the Cub and 180....Paperless Baby!

Lou

Back