• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Javron Cubs arrive 'Downunder'

pfjay52

Port Lincoln, South Australia
Two new Javron kits arrived in Adelaide, South Australia last week. after what seemed a very long time the container finally arrived at its destination. Both Peter and myself will be building 'Experimental' Cubs and we are looking forward to the challenge. the kits themselves are testament to Jay DeRosier's attention to detail in every way. the airframes themselves are works of art and the way Jay and his crew packed them meant they arrived in perfect condition and undamaged.i have a 400 mile road trip ahead of me to get my kit to its final destination at Port Lincoln, and Peter has decided to move to Brisbane, so we are still deciding how to get all his gear the last 1500 miles.. i haven't had a chance to get into my kit yet, apart from sorting out floor boards for our separate airframes. i have extended lower baggage and upper baggage, along with 20 gal aux fuel tanks, spar doublers and a new cargo pod from Bob Piatt. also AOSS suspension and squared wingtips with Charley Center STOL wingtips. i spend most of my time in the 'bush' and always travel heavy, with plenty of camping gear, fuel and food for a minimum of a week in the desert. oh yeah, not forgetting the 31" bushwheels hanging off the 3" extended gear and a baby bushwheel also. Full length flaps and ailerons with 4" extended chord on both. also 'Aveoflash' LED Nav/position, strobe and landing lights.
i have followed Bill Rusk's threads on the building of his aircraft and hope to contribute to his thread on his latest aircraft, as well as learn more as his thread develops.
DSC07033.JPGDSC07036.JPGDSC07038.JPGDSC07043.jpg

i was originally planning on putting in an IO-360 or 375, but i read today about Superior's new IO-408 so will be following this with interest.http://www.xp-series.com/ (this will get the RV crew excited).
if $$$$$'s permit i'll do a full Dynon package, with 'Skyview' etc. and maybe even an A/P...
i plan on keeping and flying my current Cub until i get to a point where i need extra dollars for the engine and instrumentation, when i'll put it on the market.

cheers,Phil

Attachments

• DSC07033.JPG
    DSC07033.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC07036.JPG
    DSC07036.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC07038.JPG
    DSC07038.JPG
    423.8 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC07043.jpg
    DSC07043.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Drool! Man, I would have killed for a set of wings to have shown up in a crate. Those look great. I would really like some pictures of the aileron bell crank setup and maybe the spar lightening hole if you get a chance. Good luck with the build.

Wow those look great! Haven't heard one bad word about Javron and lots of good words. I've used his parts myself.

Whose wing ribs are those? I thought jay was stamping ribs. What's the latest?

Hi Phil,our fuselage has also just arrived from Javron.You are right,an absolute thing of beauty.That now makes 3 and one half javron cubs in Australasia.Not only the quality but the back up from Jay has been superb.He cannot be praised enough.Will watch your project with interest.Good luck.

Congrats guys. I saw your frames when I went to visit Jay. I know he worked quite hard to make sure they got to you in one piece (so to speak). I look forward to your inputs and to following your builds.

Good Luck

Bill

Nice
I can't wait I'm going there again friday to get more parts. Jay has very high quality workmenship.

Ron,

What do you mean you your fuselage arrived from Javron????. I thought your kit came from Back Country last year didn't it? Are you building two cubs?

Colin

No,only one!The quality of the welding of the fuselage from backcountry cubs was such that two experienced New Zealand civil aviation engineers and and an engineer from a certified welding school expressed grave doubts as to the quality.After heated negotiations with backcountry cubs they reluctantly replaced it with a Javron cub fuselage.The quality of Javron is superb,that fellow Jay builds quality stuff.The backcountry cub is to be destroyed in the next few days witnessed by customs.It has been a very stressful time for us.My retirement pleasure became a nightmare from hell dealing with backcountry.Wouldn't go back there again.

Damn Ron! that's bad luck.. i had heard stories about poor service and after sales support, but this is the first time i've heard about poor quality. and it seems the quality control was non existent. i understand that all the TCOW/Backcountry fuselages were built by Jay DeRosier up until a few years ago when BackCountry decided they could do it on their own. They have done a lot of work on their kits and their wings are beautiful. but it looks like the wheels have fallen off somewhere along the track. a buddy of mine bought one of their kits on my recommendation, he was very happy with the kit, but didn't speak highly of the after sales service.
it's important for those of us living outside the US to be confident in the people to whom we trust our money. after all, we are talking a lot of money and dealing with and trusting people we have never met. i hate being let down like this.
anyway, now you can follow Bill Rusk's thread, 'Building a Javron Cub' and start posting some pictures of your new build. hopefully once you get going all these problems will be forgotten and once you get it in the air you won't look back.
cheers,
Phil

He can fly a 747 but can't fly a laptop. God save New Zealand

That's why he's retired i guess..... they've gone from steam driven to glass panels????

Thanks for the encouragement Phil,it has been just under 2 years of a nightmare from hell.How Backcountry Cubs ever passed the fuselage they sent me as airworthy beats the hell out of me.It appears the fuse was welded by a complete ameteur.The stab screw jack would not even fit in the two bushings due alignment problems.Flight control bushings were out of alignment and the engine mount faces were not parallel.Back up was extremely difficult to get and they then broke their promises on several aspects of our agreement .The fuse from Jay shows how a cub should be welded and has given me new impetus.Jay has been great and what fantastic support.Yes Bill is feeding out good gen....keep it up Bill you are a powerhouse of knowledge for us.My final words of advice to those buying a cub kitset ......GO JAVRON.

Last edited:
After reading the last post it just brought up some bad memorys, I went through 2 frames from he*l, always takes me a little longer than most to learn, from a different guy. Moral of the story is (think about what your doing when your the guinea pig) things go alot better and also its as much your fault as theres. This plane stuff just needs to be right.

Tempdoug, well i reckon that ron's point is that he didn't receive the service and support that he expected, not to mention a sub standard product. put yourself in his shoes, he has sent a bunch of money to someone he has never met on the other side of the world and is expecting/hoping that they will do the right thing by him. Basically i think most of us are honest and we assume that others will treat us as we would treat them. sometimes those we choose to trust abuse the faith we put in them, that makes the let down even harder to accept. Bad news travels fast.
Ron. you better learn how to post photos here, we need to see how you are progressing with the Kiwi Javron Cub!! you have a head start on me. i hardly had time to get my kit to the hangar and now i am on my way back to work and won't be home until the middle of April. i have not unpacked any of it.....
cheers,
Phil

It's too bad the quality of Backcountry went to hell. My kit that I got in 2008 was excellent but trying to get parts was trying sometimes. Since they moved to Douglas things have gone downhill. After talking to Jay my next one will come from Javron.

Would be interested seeing the spar lightning holes in detailled picture. Holes only in the front spar? Trying to figure out in SolidWork how many pounds I could save because my spars are a little stronger - heavier than stock

Thanks!

Numriser1.jpg

Attachments

• Numriser1.jpg
    Numriser1.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 153
Hey Olibuilt,
i am away from home at the moment. if you PM me with an email address, i'll send what i have direct to you.
cheers,
Phil

ron, somehow i don't think my boss would appreciate it!!! but i can get on the net and spend plenty of money on gear i need, that will be at home when i get back. so i hope there won't be too much time waiting on things to arrive from the US... only another 26 days and i'll be able to have a serious look at what i have bought.
cheers,
Phil

Whats your feelings on Dynon skyview,we are definitely going that way.Days of analogue instruments are gone.

Back