• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Electronic Dual Mags?

AntiCub

North Pole
I've found a rebuilt O-320-H2AD for my Patrol project, but it doesn't include the dual mag. Does anyone know of an experimental electronic dual mag?

Thanks.
Phil

I believe that engine is heavier than the other 320's and I never did like the single drive dual mags and of course the cam problems. I have about 1200 hrs behind one of those engines. Pops BTW-- I'am scratch building the 4-seat Bearhawk.

I think the single drive.. dual mag "issue" is a mental one. If a drive fails on a normal single mag.. your day's gonna be ruined anyhow! There is no "history" of the dual mag being a failure point, other than bad condensors eating points.

As long as the H2AD has had the T mod done at it's last overhaul or somewhere in it's life, it's a good engine.. it just unfortunately doesn't share any parts with the "normal" breed.

A few years ago I was at the Lyc factory. They have a museum and have every engine they made except the 320-H2AD. I ask them why they didn't have that engine. The guide said with a smile, "we didn't make that engine". Pops

A few years ago I was at the Lyc factory. They have a museum and have every engine they made except the 320-H2AD. I ask them why they didn't have that engine. The guide said with a smile, "we didn't make that engine". Pops

Confused:(. Who did?

E-mag is developing one.
I have an 0-360 with the same mag and I am going to a dual Lightspeed system

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

irishfield I agree with you ; with reservations.

If the 10-51324 (?) Impulse Coupling Spring breaks then BOTH mags have their timing to the engine severely retarded.

It's the same Spring used on S-20's.

I won't put a Dual mag on without NEW Spring.

TCM / Bendix says replace Spring every 4 years.

Mag o/h same interval.

NOT Mandatory for Part 91 ops.

This engine does have the oiler mods, and was rebuilt to new standards.

I'm not worried about the dual mag, but would like to upgrade to an electronic one. I didn't see anything on E-mags web site, but if it's not a current product I may have missed it. Time's not an issue since I'm mostly scratch building and I'll be a few years before I'm ready for engine start.

Phil

I believe that engine is heavier than the other 320's and I never did like the single drive dual mags and of course the cam problems. I have about 1200 hrs behind one of those engines. Pops BTW-- I'am scratch building the 4-seat Bearhawk.

Dan, I saw your photo's on another thread. You're a whole lot further along than I am. I'm just getting started.

Phil

Dan, I saw your photo's on another thread. You're a whole lot further along than I am. I'm just getting started.

Phil

Have fun. My buddy and I built steel jigs for the Bearhawk fuselage,landing gear, rudder pedals. etc. We built 4 bearhawk fuselages. There are 3 in my hanger and one across the runway in a hanger. Since starting on the Bearhawk I also built my little single seat SuperCub and have a JMR Special about finished except for the wings and restored a 1959 C-172. The JMR is my own design. Bob Barrows has stopped by several times and gave me some good input on the design. If I was to build another homebuilt it would be the Patrol, better than a 180 HP SuperCub. Dan

Be prepared to spend more to maintain this engine. Pop a cylinder etc. like someone said they don't share any parts. It would need to be a smokin' deal for me. Hope y'all are warming up.

The aircraft with the highest dispatch reliability that I know of (no research, but I was told that).....Navajo Chieftain.......has a single mag, not using an impulse coupling.

Dan D.....wow you trying to stir the pot with a comment like yours about the "patrol"? If it was all in jest, I'm laughing...but if you were serious......maybe you'd like to qualify that statement with what "better" means to you....and provide some background so we can understand your mindset. My mind is open, and I am aware that "..It takes all kinds..". thanks DAVE

The aircraft with the highest dispatch reliability that I know of (no research, but I was told that).....Navajo Chieftain.......has a single mag, not using an impulse coupling.

Dan D.....wow you trying to stir the pot with a comment like yours about the "patrol"? If it was all in jest, I'm laughing...but if you were serious......maybe you'd like to qualify that statement with what "better" means to you....and provide some background so we can understand your mindset. My mind is open, and I am aware that "..It takes all kinds..". thanks DAVE

Bob Barrows, the designer of the Patrol is a friend of mine. A couple years ago Bob and a friend of his flew out to Johnson Creek, Idaho from VA.. Bob flew the Patrol and his friend flew a 180 HP SuperCub, so they had 2 weeks to compare the two different aircraft. The Patrol is faster, longer range, lighter EW, more cockpit room, more baggage room, More ROC, Take-off shorter. Hey- I also love SuperCubs. My first flight instructions was with a SuperCub, but the Patrol is a little better. I can't say that I have flown Bobs Patrol, but I have flown the prototype Bearhawk and I love it. Bob says the Patrol Bearhawk flys even better than the 4 seat Bearhawk. I like the feel of the controls of the Bearhawk over the SuperCub, the controls are a little lighter and more responsive. So to sum it all up, I love SC's but I think the Bearhawk Patrol is a little better all around aircraft, but your mileage may vary. Dan R.

PS-- I must be feeling brave today to say this on the SC site. :)

... If I was to build another homebuilt it would be the Patrol, better than a 180 HP SuperCub. Dan...

Let's see some Patrol's at Valdez. I will give you it's faster. As far as STOL, show me proof. Here is a rhetorical, why is everything compared to the Super Cub?

Let's see some Patrol's at Valdez. I will give you it's faster. As far as STOL, show me proof. Here is a rhetorical, why is everything compared to the Super Cub?

Everything is compared to a SuperCub because they have been here a long time and the Patrol is new and very few people know anything about them. I might be wrong, but I think that there are just 3 Protrols flying at this time. Maybe couple dozen in construction. A couple years from now it will be different. Dan R.

It was pretty much a blanket statement that you made. I thought you would have more information or personal experience in the Patrol to do that. If you fly the Patrol and a SuperCub, are the caliber of pilot that can truly ROCK! a Cub, and also the type that people are willing to listen to, and and offer an opinion of preference with discussion of each a/c's strengths and weaknesses......You might convince me.

I don' know you. Please do not think this an attack on you. Trust me, I'm saving you from the sharks if you will dialogue with me.

I'd love to check out the Patrol.......

DAVE

Here's mine two years ago.(Patrol)old pictures 340.jpg On the gear now with engine mount. I won't make any bold claims on performance. I just like the airplane. I had to sell my cub project during tough times but had enough tubing to start on something so I chose the Patrol. I like Bob Barrow's designs. The latest Patrol to fly came in at 1168 with O-320 and a constant speed prop and full electrical system. The prototype was badly damaged in the storm at the Sun & Fun fly in.

Attachments

• old pictures 340.jpg
    old pictures 340.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
It was pretty much a blanket statement that you made. I thought you would have more information or personal experience in the Patrol to do that. If you fly the Patrol and a SuperCub, are the caliber of pilot that can truly ROCK! a Cub, and also the type that people are willing to listen to, and and offer an opinion of preference with discussion of each a/c's strengths and weaknesses......You might convince me.

I don' know you. Please do not think this an attack on you. Trust me, I'm saving you from the sharks if you will dialogue with me.

I'd love to check out the Patrol.......

DAVE

Like I said, I have have not flown the Patrol. Bob Barrows the designer has been to my strip several times with it. If you don't believe me, why don't you call Bob Barrows and talk to him about the trip comparing the 180 HP Patrol to the 180 HP SuperCub. His phone number is in his ad for the plans. Having flown Bush Type aircraft off airports for over 40 years I think I could give you a good pilot report between the two. Dan R.

Here's mine two years ago.(Patrol)View attachment 5312 On the gear now with engine mount. I won't make any bold claims on performance. I just like the airplane. I had to sell my cub project during tough times but had enough tubing to start on something so I chose the Patrol. I like Bob Barrow's designs. The latest Patrol to fly came in at 1168 with O-320 and a constant speed prop and full electrical system. The prototype was badly damaged in the storm at the Sun & Fun fly in.
Thanks for the picture. I am trying to beat the EW of the phototype 4 Seat Bearhawk of 1190 lbs. Fixed pitch climb prop, no electrial system , bare bones, saving every oz. Dan R.

Ruffair, thanks! I really like the look of the dual lightspeed option.

Be prepared to spend more to maintain this engine. Pop a cylinder etc. like someone said they don't share any parts. It would need to be a smokin' deal for me. Hope y'all are warming up.

Yes, it's a very good deal. And it's up to +15F today. Feels like T-shirt weather after last month. :)

Because we're on a Supercub web site maybe? :) I'm sure on a Bonanza web site, the Bonanza would be the basis for comparison.
Phil

Dan, my Patrol will have a basic electrical system (alternator, starter, battery, comm radio, transponder, nav. and instrument lights) and 8.50x6 tires or possibly 26" bushwheels, so I'm estimating my empty will be between 1100 and 1200lbs. Even with small tires it's amazing that Bob kept the prototype under 1000lbs. dry.

Phil

Phil, I would say your estimated weights are way more realistic than Bob's.

Bugs66, Bob did fly the Patrol at New Holstein a couple of years ago. His take off, if I remember right was about average with the stock cubs. Didn't see where he blew them away.

I built a Kit Bearhawk. Over all I like it. It's just not quite what I was expecting. Since we bought the SC last summer we've put about 90 hrs on the cub and about 20 on the Bearhawk. Guess which one is the most fun to fly.

Dave

Bugs66, Bob did fly the Patrol at New Holstein a couple of years ago. His take off, if I remember right was about average with the stock cubs. Didn't see where he blew them away.

I built a Kit Bearhawk. Over all I like it. It's just not quite what I was expecting. Since we bought the SC last summer we've put about 90 hrs on the cub and about 20 on the Bearhawk. Guess which one is the most fun to fly.

Dave

Dave, that's about what I expect for the Patrol's STOL performance. Comparible to a stock Cub, especially since Bob runs a fixed cruise prop. My choice of the Patrol over a cub clone was do to the extra speed, range, and handling reports, especially comments "performed the sportsmans aerobatic pattern as well as a Super Decathalon, but with much lighter controls..."

I understand a couple of the Patrol builders switched from the 4 place after getting a flight in the patrol. Tandem aircraft are just more fun. :)

Phil

Back