• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Considering a build...

Helmetfire

FRIEND
Caldwell, Texas
Was hangar flying recently with a couple local pilots, one of them is restoring a supercub from a pre-welded and powdercoated fuselage, and a brand new set of prefab wings. The reason I say "restoring" is because he has a crashed supercub that hes using some parts from...the main one being a dataplate
icon_wink.gif

This got me to thinking...I'm mechanically inclined, have a surplus of spare time, have access to many specialized tools with advice from A&P's I work with, and am fortunate to have some cash on hand to potentially get started on a such a project.

This would be an Experimental build for the sole reason that it's getting harder and harder to get any A&P/IA to sign off an annual these days. I have 3 local IA's that Im friends with but none of them will touch my certified Cessna 140 due to our good friend "Mr. Liability"
icon_mad.gif
I am plenty capable of working on my own aircraft safely, and wish to do so on my next plane...I know my limitations and always seek the advice of an A&P if I don't know what I'm doing.

A few thoughts:
Cost: I realize I could buy a good cub for the same price or maybe a little cheaper, but going this route I would end up with a plane that I know inside and out and is not 50 years old with a questionable background. I would most likely utilize a pre-fab fuselage to save a big chunk of time, and probably build a set of wings from a kit. I'm guessing about $20K for the fuse, wing kit, and tail feathers...is this realistic?

Time: It's alot faster to buy a used plane and fly right now, but I have the time to dedicate to this project and if I start with a pre-fab fuselage, I believe I could finish this plane in 12 - 15 months?!. Plus I still have the 140 and a fulltime flying job to satisfy my flying addiction in the meantime. Due to the work schedule, I can honestly say I'd be able to dedicate about 20-25 hours per week on the project, and that's being conservative.

Configuration: I decide what instruments, equipment and mods go on the airplane, instead of buying somebody elses airplane, always wanting to change this or that, but being such a pain in the ass to do...mostly because when you start changing little things, you inevitably discover other problems that need addressing in the process....do it right the first time!!

The "what-if's": What if "life" gets in the way and for whatever reason I have to abandon the project? I'm aware I won't get all of my investment back by selling the pieces, but would it be advisable to maximize my return by using certified parts to have a bigger market for the pieces??? Seems this would ad significant cost to the project....this is highly unlikely, just a part of my research.

To the people here that have done this, what are the problems you ran into? What can I expect? I know there's a hundred ways to skin a cat, but any advice is appreciated! I've been lurking here awhile now and have read through hundreds of posts trying to answer these questions, just wanted to throw my own post in the mix to personalize it...so to speak.

I just read a post about a building seminar in Graham, TX that I would also be really interested in attending. I think this would be a great inspiration for a project of my own, or a big help if I decide to start a project prior to the seminar!

Thanks for any advice!!

Aaron

Go for it Aaron! A lot of guys here have done it. Help is a plus. Covering seminar is a must.

I think your time projections are suspect, but not for someone who's done it before and knows what they're doing and has all the parts ready to go. I spent a LOT of time making parts and ordering parts. That made me 3 years almost to the day.

Check out Supercubproject.com for a good description of most all that's involved.

Good luck!!

I'll second what Iflylower said. Your time expectations may be a little suspect, but I did very much the same. I bought a partially complete project and finished it out from there, usually working 30 - 40 hrs a week on the project. 17 months from picking up the project to first flight (with a 2 month hiatus from building to allow the finances to catch up). Details are at <http://jscott.comlu.com/Cub/Cub.html>. If you can stick to it through completion, it's well worth the work.

-CubBuilder

If you truely want an experimental Cub and enjoy the building process, then go for it. My advice would be to sell the 140 and commit 100% of your spare time to the Cub project. Without a plane to fly you will be amazed how motivated you are to get it done.

Do it...I just did in 14 months on a certified SC. Bring in help when you feel progress slow or with tasks you just don't enjoy doing. Just keep it going. Don't set a deadline! Just go work on the airplane everyday, even for just 10 minutes, and one day there wont be anything to do.

Do it...I just did in 14 months on a certified SC. Bring in help when you feel progress slow or with tasks you just don't enjoy doing. Just keep it going. Don't set a deadline! Just go work on the airplane everyday, even for just 10 minutes, and one day there wont be anything to do.

I second this M.O. a little every day builds an airplane in no time. Time does not stop you decide what you will have in that time!!!

Good luck and Just do IT!!!

Brandon

Read building a Javron cub, and Bill Rusk's other stuff to find the perfect cub...

If you don't enjoy the process though, buy one flying and tinker on it.

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm still in the discovery phase for sure, just want to make sure this is the right avenue for me.

Am i correct that you can buy an existing experimental aircraft and legally work on it, just not sign off a condition inspection???

Also, let's say I go a different route and found a certified project and start the restoration process. At which point do you need an inspection and who could do it? A&P? IA? FAA inspector? I would assume that it would need some inspection prior to covering, and again prior to receiving an airworthiness cert, but brings me back to my original problem of finding somebody that has the liability insurance and would want to sign off on the project.

I love to fly and I love to build things...seems natural for me to build an airplane, just want to go about it the right way and minimize the hassles, which is why (for once) I'm doing the research before diving in, lol

Thanks again

Buy a kit from one of the many sources. Bill Rusk is the local expert on what is available. When you get it completed you will then be eligible to acquire a repairman's certificate for that airplane. Then you will be able to sign off the condition inspections yourself. You will not need the services of an IA or A&P. $20k will not get you very far. Plan on spending something north of $70k, depending on your desires and scrounging abilities.

Super Cub kits

A good budget for a Super Cub kit plane starts at around $70K or so and goes up to about $120K with VFR radios, more if you want IFR capabilities. Many decisions about electronics, new vs. used engine, Bushwheels vs. 800s or 850s, etc. impact the cost.

Please check out my article in the March 2012 issue of KITPLANES for a comparison of the various SC kits currently available. It should be on the newsstands in a couple of weeks.

BTW, anyone can work on an experimental airplane. If you do not have the repairman's certificate (original builder only) you will need an A&P to sign off the yearly condition inspection (no IA required). I highly recommend building the plane yourself (experimental) if it is for your personal use. There is a great deal of satisfaction that comes from such an accomplishment, and it is very nice to be able to do all the maintenance and modifications yourself without the hassle that comes with certificated airplanes.

Dave Prizio

I'm scratch building a 2+2/PA 14 using Wag Aero plans and supplements from Piper drawings. Time to build is one of those elusive things that you can't predict. I am building everything from scratch, not the norm by many standards. I have about 2000 hours in it so far and am about 75% done, maybe more. This is over about 5 years or so; you can't be in a hurry. As for the $$$ you can keep it low if you scrounge and build like me. I expect to have about $25-30K in mine so you can build it for way under $70 if you like to build. Nice thing about building a Piper clone is you can pick and choose any lever of build vs buy components and tailor your your cost around your budget. I really feel that the range is from a low of about $25K to a high of $120K. Excluding going crazy with a panel I can't think of many other planes where you can tailor any "time and budget" to fit the project. Last thing is you need to be committed (in many senses of the word) to the project and like to build and you will really enjoy the experience. My web site has every step from day one posted if you want to see how a crazy person builds from scratch.
Marty57

Back