• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need Cowling for 150HP O-320-A2B

Todd C

Tulsa OK
I am looking for the "best" place to purchase cowling parts for my experimental Super Cub. Going for the stock look, good used parts are OK. Any advice? Thanks, Todd​

The only complex part is the nose bowl. Every other part is just flat stock or a piece of support tubing. The support channels are flat stock with a couple of straight bends. Nothing could be considered as a close tolerance part. I suggest buy a nose bowl and make the rest.

1/ Hang the engine.
2/ Make a wooden disc to bolt to the crankshaft that will position and hold the nose bowl in place. Make allowances for ring gear, prop and spinner clearances.
3/ Fill in the spaces behind the bowl. If it makes you feel more comfortable, make a poster board template first.
Stand back and look at it.
See? Simple as 1,2,3.
That was not too difficult and it fits your plane just right.

You did say that it is experimental. That must mean that you have enough mechanical ability to do this task.

Todd, I have a cowling that is in fair shape from a 1958 PA-18A that I would be willing to let go of. Includes nose bowl, side cowl, bottom cowl, but I'm not sure the top sheet is there. It is the easiest part to make though. Just IM me.

Denny

Atlee makes nice side cowls. You need to 'roll' the aluminum to fab the sides, I found buying much easier. :) Atlee can even make them to fit following a 0 thrust line mod.

Sharp

Backcountry Super Cubs has all the parts to make a cowl. The top, bottom, and side doors are all pre rolled. Everything is oversize so you can trim to fit your individual airplane.

I am looking for the "best" place to purchase cowling parts for my experimental Super Cub. Going for the stock look, good used parts are OK. Any advice? Thanks, Todd​
Todd,

Sounds like you're making progress... If you decide to fabicricate your own you're welcome to swing by the East side of Riverside and photo/measure mine it's factory Piper.

Kirby

Last edited:
cowling pars

I have a stock nose bowl from a 1963 PA 18 that I would part with for a very reasonable price. Also have many other misc parts from upgrade mods that are just collecting dust...

Thanks for the replies and ideas to make my own cowling, I appreciate the info!
Kirby- thanks for the offer, I will take you up on the offer to look at your Cub. It will be a few more months though, I'm still in Afghanistan. I'm about to have all the parts gathered up for a "quick-build" kit!!

Back