• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Prop advice required

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
I have a backcountry wide body extended wing cub with Barts O375 and a borer 8444 prop with paperwork that says it was repitched from 43 to 44 by precision propellers.

She won't spin at more than 2550 in cruise and 2400 in climb out. The last 1/4 of the throttle travel has no engine response except I can detect a change in the engine note. With 31" wheels and all the Alaskan mods she cruises at 80 knots @ 2300. I do have to watch the CHT's and can keep them between 380 and 400 if I am careful. Fuel burn seems normal. I enjoy short field flying and often need to get off the ground quickly.

It seems to me to be a horrible waste of all that 195hp. Or am I missing something here?

1) should I repitched it back to 43 or less?

2) if it is over pitched, could this be part of my CHT concerns?

Colin

I have a stock O-360 and turn a 84-42 2425 static and about 2850 full at max speed
Something seems fishy either the pitch is incorrect or the engine has issues.
If temp is an issue check timing.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Did you put an optical tach on that yet..... or is your mechanical tach toast..

I like the 42 pitch on that prop and that should bring the temps down.

I have O-360 with Pawnee 84/43 and get 2400 static and easily goes over 2700 level full throttle.

I have a 0-375 with a Whirlwind prop and I get any RPM I want. Takes one minute to adjust. Took my 90" off. Now I can cruise at a decent speed on a long flight and still use it for short work.

I was wondering how that prop was working for you. Glad all is well with you.

I have a 0-375 with a Whirlwind prop and I get any RPM I want. Takes one minute to adjust. Took my 90" off. Now I can cruise at a decent speed on a long flight and still use it for short work.

Does it pull as well as the 90"? What cruise speed/rpm? Weight difference?

Lou

two things i see with the Whirlwind weight and cost other then that its a great prop and pulls hard.

Lou---Wirlwind pulls as hard as the 90". The weight is very close to the same. It comes with its own spinner. Cruise is 92/94 MPH at 2350/2400 Rpm. So far I set it up full throttle, very steep climb at 2700 RPM and a full throttle level cruise at 2700. I have a SQ-2 with slats and 35" rubber.

Back