• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Supercub tail

metalman

Melbourne Australia
Hi all, I've started on the elevators and horizontal stab using piper plans via northland, I have almost finished the elevator with control horns and had a look at the plans for the horizontal stab and I have two drawings, 40643 with no control horns and 12769 with the stab shorter to have control horns on the elevator, the question is which one is the right one for a super cub ? or am I missing something?
Mat

I've had a look around at some pics and yeh , the control horns are PA18, what are the other ones for J3,,,PA11?

The J-3 that I trained in is set up with the non balanced elevator, that is what I believe you are calling control horns. I just finished up all my tail pieces except for the hinges. Have fun.

I haven't noticed on the plans ,but do the PA18's have weight in the elevators,,mass balance or are they just a control balance (horn)

thanks, had a moment where I thought I had built some elevators for something other than a supercub
cheers Mat

The early Super Cub (90hp) had non-balanced elevators like the J3, PA11 and PA12. Bigger engines brought along wider, balanced tail feathers.

Back