• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What Part is this?

SchulerJL

BENEFACTOR
Peoria, Illinois
I have a 1954 PA-18 L21B. I have been trying to find the part number for this outboard fairlead. I found the two inboard with fairlead clips, but I can't seem to find this part in any manuals. Anbody have any idea?

IMG_0989.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 159
Normally that is part of the aileron cable and is a one piece nylon fairlead. I have not seen any new ones available in 2 pieces. You must make a new aileron cable to install new bushings.

Univair has them.

Jason

View attachment A3290373.pdf

Attachments

• A3290373.pdf
    47.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
cruiser... that is the large one, the small one is a piper specific part.

Jason

This one is smaller than the other two, part Aircraft Spruce 05-05600. It looks like it is in two pieces and is held by compression by the stop nut. It is about half the diameter of the 05-05600. In the piper parts list there are three of the larger fairleads indicated not two big ones and one little - of course my plane seems to have two of the larger nylon fairleads and one of the little fairleads outboard. It looks like I could take it off by looseing the nut sliding it out in two pieces without taking the whole aileron cable off. The Larger ones are worn much more so I am replacing them - I just thought I would replace the outboard ones as well - If I could figure out what they are.

Look up the trim system. they used 2 of them on the trim. Don't have a parts book handy.

I looked in my parts manual for you because i thought i wrote the part number down but i was wrong. Call Univair and tell them which one you want they stock the small one. I think it comes in one piece but dont cut it in half just a slice on one side then pry it open a touch to slip over the cable.

These things are not difficult to make. Originally they were fiber or wood. Mine are all Teflon - some folks do not like Teflon, but they seem to work great. My outers are slit as above, and captured with a separate steel piece, so I don't have to keep bending that tab.

U42911-000, $8.93 each from the Univair website. The reason you won't find it in a Cub parts catalog is that it is part of the aileron cable assembly, being installed prior to the cable end being finished. Cut a new one with a razor saw and slap it on there.

Back