• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

pulsating feedback from new aeroled strobes...

schnell49

Lake Hood
finally got plane back in the air today 6 weeks after it went into surgery from that "guy" who hit my plane with his..
lots of work done...

got some re-rigging to do-pulls hard to the right and probably no way to quickly find that problem but was hoping to get some "general" ideas of what to do/look for and maybe offer suggestions when i take it back to mechanic to maybe expedite things pertaining to the the electric issue (and personal knowledge)

1. put aeroleds strobe/position lights on wing tips and tail--removed wheelen lights and the 3 strobe boxes thru out and removed the halogen landing light between gear legs-as a new one got put in the recovered wing with leds...--left anti-collision/beacon off new tail feathers fyi
--used existing wire coming out of right wing and tail section--new wire was ran on the damaged/recovered wing

2. ammeter now pulses with strobes--assume this is normal since i removed strobe boxes and this didn't happen before?

3. problem: 122.8 and 122.9 it pulsed in my headset thru my radio and was very annoying but did not pulse or if it did it was super subtle and a couple times could hear it quietly "squeal" in sequence with strobes and didn't come across as static on 126.8....also checked strobes back in echo parking on 22.8...thinking the radio antennas near Z40 might have had something to do with it but they still pulsed in my headset (as those antennas have screwed with me before)---i didn't mess with squelch on radio at all... checked with my uncle who installed new leds on his 180 and he is having pulsing issues that sound similar to mine

--radio antenna did get moved from fuel tank lid to wing root fairings--about 12" to the right--if that matters?

would assume all connections and grounds need to be checked--anything else?--probably loaded questions but figured i would try to get smart on it...

FWIW, i know even less about electrical than fixing or rigging an airplane!!

measure from rear wing strut attach(each side) to tail wheel spring mount bolt, to see if top deck is still square...

hmmm their link referred to above is kinda... weird.... usually you should only ground a shield at ONE end... or else it may become more a conductor and not a shield, if its the best ground path for airframe currents....2 demerits...

the ammeter pulsing sounds strange..... step one clean all ground connections, clean all positive connections from battery to breakers & out to alternator.... cycle beakers.... pulsing usually means a bad flow somewhere(or huge load)

somewhere on here I posted a method for very quickly finding noise sources/bad connections...

I used their landing lights on my plane and have no pulses. I ran all grounds in the plane back to a central ground on the F wall and used no shielded wire. The only light I grounded close to the light was an Aveo LED tail strobe; it was an unplanned add-on and I had no ground wire ran for it. Craig

thanks for the link docstory...

-checked where the antenna cable was and per that link it said to keep it spaced at least 1" from wires (especially strobe) to prevent near-field coupling (whatever that means) and also it said "RFI interference will show up as noise that breaks squelch on the radio, and appears on specific freqs, but not on every freq-which was my problem---so opened up the wing root and all my excess antenna cable was balled up right next to all the wires--pulled excess wire as far back and away from other wires as possible--did a short flight yesterday and i heard nothing!!

also fixed the hard pull (or most of it) to the right--after several calls and no help from my less than mechanical brain to understand something seemingly easy to some but my brain has to see something, touch it to understand...long and short was after we compared washout of wings to each other-1.6 vs 1.8 and also checked via level on each wing in 4 spots and largest difference was .2 of each other, measured the tail feathers to the wings and they were off an 1/8" and were aligned square to each other but they were canted to the right (bout half bubble level off)---thinking this was why plane was turning---well, they fixed that (one problem at a time) and pushed plane out only to learn from a mechanic friend of mine who is sharp said---

screwing with tail feathers will do nothing--your plane will still pull to the right--we went in the air and sure enough

simply he said--if the wing drops mess with the washout and if the plane skids bend the vertical fin--that was as simply put for this brain to understand and two turns later it flew much better but uncertain due to dirty air yesterday if another turn will be needed--worst case i will need to turn the strut bolt one more time..

nice to see simple fixes and actually feel the change and understand why--thx

screwing with tail feathers will do nothing--your plane will still pull to the right--we went in the air and sure enough

simply he said--if the wing drops mess with the washout and if the plane skids bend the vertical fin--that was as simply put for this brain to understand and two turns later it flew much better

right tail can be way crooked with zero effect..(other than if tail spring is crooked...)

and ALWAYS fix skid/(center ball) first before messing with wings... you don't care a BIT what it takes to make wings level in a skid, not your goal...

Back