• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

remove trim handle

nesincg

BENEFACTOR
Chattanooga, TN (KAPT)
I have off the entire interior of my 11 except the trim handle. How does this come off. I can't see a set screw.P1020184a-close.jpgP1020183.jpg

Attachments

• P1020184a-close.jpg
    P1020184a-close.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 171
  • P1020183.jpg
    P1020183.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:
trim

Push the little cap behind the handle in it's got a spring behind it and there is a small steel pin in the handle that will usually fall out and under the floor boards, may need a slight tap with a punch.

In that first picture, I was pushing as hard as I could. Is this an original handle? Do I save it?

Nesing, in your pic of you pushing down the eustation you can barely see the roll pin. I suggest that the eustation was binding on the pin. If you rock & roll it while pushing down maybe it will slip by the pin & you can push it out. I remember some chin scratching figuring mine out too!

OK, I think I'm cutting off the trim and then raiding Steve's stash. Maybe they are Chinese enough not to set off your metal detector.

I've looked for the link and can't find it but, somewhere on this site a member used an oilite bushing or two in that trim assembly which smoothes it up considerably. Looked like a good idea to me. Jim

When putting it back together, I also put a piece of safety wire through the pin to ensure it does not come out AGAIN when flying...

But good mechanics probably laugh at that.

The real pin doesn't have a hole in it, press fit.

cruiser, Brian from Steve's Aircraft did the bushing mod.

An alternative when not wanting an art deco classic restoration. Dakota Cub has a nice handle that is retained by a pin but you don't have to drive it through the handle, it goes through the pulley shaft but the handle is retained by a screw and lock washer. Really nice parts and comes in a complete kit. About $55 for everything.
100_6289.JPG 100_6378.JPG

Attachments

• 100_6289.JPG
    100_6289.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_6378.JPG
    100_6378.JPG
    560.6 KB · Views: 150
Once again. everyone thanks for the search help. I am anxious to hear how you make out on a covered airplane tempdoug. Please let me know, thanks. Jim

The real pin doesn't have a hole in it, press fit.

cruiser, Brian from Steve's Aircraft did the bushing mod.

Darrel Starr did the oilite bushing too. I just saw a thread yesterday on the home page so this thread should be recent and still on the homepage. I too did the oilite bearing. I will never do another one without it.

Back