• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental operations over Canada?

spinner2

Montana
I'd like to take my experimental Cub into Canada next summer. I've made numerous trips into Canada with certified airplanes but never with an experimental. When the DAR issued me my experimental airworthiness certificate and Experimental Operating Limitations he made it point to read to me what item 21 said. The gist of limitation is that an experimental does not meet the airworthiness code for ICAO nations and because of that an operator needs to get specific permission from the country in question to fly in its airspace. It goes on to say that written permission must be carried in the airplane and be made available for inspection.

So my question is; who in Canada issues this permission? Or maybe I should ask is this really necessary or just boilerplate language in the Operating Limitations?

Thanks.

Just as a side note I have had permission in England to operate Experimental planes before. Can't remember of it was 30 days at a time, though.

Experimental Amateur Built or just Experimental. Amateur built you just print out the reciprical agreement between countries (I'll try to find it) and you fly to your hearts content. Not sure on the other... But the premision comes from Transport Canada. If you are of the experimental ? category, let me know and I'll give you a good contact that's a good egg at TC (and they're hard to find!)

Experimental Amateur Built or just Experimental. Amateur built you just print out the reciprical agreement between countries (I'll try to find it) and you fly to your hearts content. Not sure on the other... But the premision comes from Transport Canada. If you are of the experimental ? category, let me know and I'll give you a good contact that's a good egg at TC (and they're hard to find!)

I'm amateur-built experimental and am not the experimental LSA. Sounds simple if that's all there is to it. Thanks for the help.

And be very nice to the folks up there, a good introduction: "Hi, my name is Logan and I live at Nimpo Lake, and it was me poaching fish in that thar lake!"

And to be really nice, say it in french: "blaw blaw blaw blaw Logan, blaw blaw outlaw blaw blaw":cheers

If'n you want them to feel sorry for you, try: "Hi, I am Steve, and I am just waiting for a throttle cable to fit my cub, cause my 'friend' told me the wrong one. By the time I get there the beer will be gone.":sad:

Coming to Alaska next summer?

Dan'l, When you get that TC letter, open it in Word & add "The amateur pistol is also OK"
TC loves a jester!

I fly my exp. threw Canada have never needed any of this stuff and so have many others.

Experimental Letter

On my first trip into Canada I dutifully printed out the letter and included it in my airplane papers. Several trips later no one has ever asked to see it or even casually mentioned it. It is apparently like the radio station license. You are supposed to have one, but no one really cares. At least the letter is free.

It's probably a smart thing to have, you never know, kinda like that new ELT I bought $900 when $150 would have been just fine.

Back