• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Side stringers and D windows pa-14

SkwentnaMan

Wasilla,AK
I'm building an Exp. PA-14.(Wag 2+2)

I am thinking about not installing the side stringers, what is the problem with the fabric going from bottom longeron to top then top stringers.

Was also thinking about not putting in back D window, just fabric. When flying I cant see using it much. Plane has dual seaplane doors that will be all glass.

Trying to save weight and speed up the project. Any thoughts would be great

Dunno how PA-14 aileron cables are routed, but if they're the same as a 12, you might encounter an interference between aileron cable and skin. I found that I should have set my D window frames out slightly more. Good thing I had a hammer to fix it with - - -

Last edited:
The other thing to think about is the drumming of the fabric on all the diagonals if you don't have side stringers. It would take a lot more time to tape.

-18 has stringer.

I see the issues Steve and Geezer mentioned.

Also, that will be a dark, foreboding cave in the back of your 2+2 without a window. And you'll use that D window more than you think in-flight. I would also suggest a skylight as well. When I added a skylight to my families cruiser (family cruiser....PA-14), it made everything nicer to have the extra light.

Also, it'll LOOK FUNNY without the D window......my opinion. DAVE

I installed the D window on my 2+2; didn't take much time. The stringers come up to the rear of the D window . The D is much easier than the window on the 2+2 plans and is a good compromise; lighter than the plans and retains the look of the PA 14. If you are building the wing with the aileron cables on the rear of the front spar than cables are not a problem either way. My Flap cable will likely cross the D window but not a big deal. Picture below shows how I connected the stringer to the window if you want to go that route. More pictures on my site if needed at http://martyfeehan.xanga.com/?nextdate=6/12/2007+0:30:39.290&direction=p

Marty57

d window.jpg

d window 2.jpg

Attachments

• d window.jpg
    d window.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 97
  • d window 2.jpg
    d window 2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 103
Back